correct use of radiant barrier in ventilated roof?

M

munchingB

seriously cannot logically understand how to make use of a radiant barrier in a ventilated roof!

reading about it online and im reading that it should go under the roof sheathing... another place says that it should lie on top of the rafters and another that it should be under the rafters between the plasterboard...

i thought i understand how they work but these contradicting examples have fuzzled my brainbox...

anyone care to add to the confusion or should i just make a spaceman suit out of it and scare the bumpkins?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes as gerry's said are you referring to the foil blanket types of insulation? if so then yes they are pointless.

is it correct then that i dont need a vapour barrier against the plaster board of the ceiling for a ventilated roof? i feel the clue is in the word ventilated..?

would it be of any use as a vapour barrier in a timber wall with 140 kingspan behind it?

it is a superquilt that i bought of a mate who said it'd be ok to use as a vapour barrier but im a bit worried that it might do something that it isnt suppose to?

Sponsored Links
it isnt the brand YBS superquilt, just what weve been calling it, it is the air bubble type yes-its a roll too many my friend used for his caravan so i took it off for for the price of a windscreen sunshield : )

i have insulation boards for a roof and for a wall-yet to actually do either so was just wondering if this material could be of any use or i'll have to buy a vapour barrier for the walls at least.

So this is the stuff:

alreflex-2l2-247x170.jpg

thats it pretty much yes. i only paid a tenner for a 25m2 roll so if it has any use-good. if not then car windscreen shield, super hero outfit, fish tank background...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back