Correct way to deal with damp on the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have a wall where damp patches etc from the shower room behind has caused the paint to flake etc. the shower room is going to be fitted with an additional extractor fan in the cubicle as it is a closed cubicle. What is the correct way to clean and prepare the wall for repainting. Here is a picture of the damp wall

Cheers

Raji

Sponsored Links
The plaster has effloresced badly there, due to water absorbtion throughout time.....probably years!
Its vital that the initial leakage is attended to first - this may involve new silicone sealant, tile grouting or whatever. The wall then needs to dry completely.
After that, then coat the wall with a stain block paint or similar...it may well need a few coats - before a finish coat of emulsion.
For this job, I'd say its caused by greater problems then steam extraction....there's water leakage for sure.
John :)

Thats penetrating damp, a fan will not cure it, the shower is leaking thru the wall.

So you don't think that because the shower on the other side is a completely enclosed cubicle, ie there is no gap at the top of the shower door that the humidity and steam inside caused the problem. Here is a picture of the inside of the shower

Sponsored Links
Lack of ventilation won't help Raji, but there's water going through the grout and / or sealant there I'm afraid.
Once the job is done, then the use of a squeegee and cloth will be essential after every use of the shower.
John :)

So you don't think that because the shower on the other side is a completely enclosed cubicle, ie there is no gap at the top of the shower door that the humidity and steam inside caused the problem. Here is a picture of the inside of the shower

Lack off a fan is only causing mold in shower, tiles need re-grouting /sealing or possibly retiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back