Correct way to fit an Earth clamp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I the only one who can't see something obvious, or is there a knack I haven't discovered? I'm talking about this:
EC15.JPG

Specifically, it doesn't seem to "clamp" onto the pipe because the clamping screw just tightens up on the strap in the slot - how do you get the strap tight around the pipe?

I'm assuming the strap goes round the pipe then through the slot under the clamp screw, which then holds it in place. But this doesn't seem to give a good grip on the pipe, unless I've missed something...

And what do you do with the warning label, which is too long to go round a 15mm water pipe if it's left as in the photo? Should it be put under the clamp screw using one of the round holes?

I've never seen instructions on how to use these, and my trials so far have resulted in only errors!

(Possibly the instructions could be a candidate for the "Reference" section?)

Cheers,

Howard

Sponsored Links
right let me try to explain it's really easy when you know how, i've used loads of these.

1) slide off the label part
2) take the screw right out and put the label under the nut and onto the screw using one of the 2 holes in the label, then put the screw back in so its just niting on the threads
3) now thread the end round the pipe and put it through the slot
4)now tighten the screw, the way it works is so it distorts the banding and pulls it tight. This way the screw never touches the pipe so it can't damage it.
5)now tighten the nut so the label looks straight or however you want it.

this may sound as clear as mud so i'll try and take a photo of one i did earlier.

They may be the standard design, but I'd agree they are not very good - you have to slacken the screw off and pull the band through before re-tightening. Even then I have found on hard surfaces (brass) the clamp doesn't dig in well, and a sharp tug (such as someone tripping over the cable) can cause the band to slide enough to lose the proper grip. On soft metals (lead) the design encourages cold flow, and over time the grip is lost. Personally I can't see why we don't use a Munsen ring design as in germany, or a variation on the hose clip concept. History I guess.
Regarding the label, often the band only passes through the label once, and it flaps out, flag like. Other installers seem to use one of the roud holes and catch it under the lock nut. Only on the largest pipes is the lable fixed at both ends.
http://www.memonline.com/ezybond.html
and

http://www.earthcrimpconnectors.co.uk/

are alternatives, also approved to BS951 but are markedly more expensive, at least at the moment.
The solder and crimp connections have the advantage of being allowed in non-inspectable places, though to avoid future 'prove it' hassle, the exact position and type should be recorded.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back