Correct way to fix my concrete floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just decorating the hallway in my 1930's house. I pulled up the original carpet and underlay today to start laying some laminate flooring, but the floor is far too uneven. The concrete has blown in several sections. about .5sqm of it sounds as if it is deteched from any base below, but it is one large sound section.

There are quite a few cracks running through it, though after removing the blown bits, most seems fairly sound. Some of the cracks/holes had been filled with normal filler by the previous occupant!

The house had some subsidence a long time ago (since fixed), so I guess that's where the cracks originated.

I think some damp has come up through the cracks, but the rest doesn't seem damp.

My question is, how do I fill these holes, possibly seal the floor, then level?

I was thinking to fill the blown sections with normal sand/cement mix, seal the floor (water seal or similar?), then lay a self leveling compound of some sort over the top of it all?

Does this sound reasonable? I'm concerned that sealing the floor might make any damp just go up the walls instead!? There is a channel around the hall that seperates the top finish from the concrete block walls. It's about 2 cm wide. I wonder if this is designed to allow evapouration. I don't think there would be a dpc in the floor, being built in the 30's and all?

Any advice would be appreciated. Was hoping to lay the floor today, now just have a concrete floor with holes in it :(

Sponsored Links
What do you intend laying on the floor? Real wood, laminate, ceramic tiles, carpet?

In my opinion only physical membranes are any good as a damp barrier and this would involve more than just a repair. You would need to remove the floor.

I would be a little concerned as to what is causing the floor to buckle. The home buyers survey didn't happen to mention sulphate attack at all?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back