Correct Way to Seal Shower Tray & Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to fix a shower cubical (bifold door + 3 tiled walls) that seems to have been badly bodged and incorrectly sealed on both inside & outside the frame and it's obviously all gone very wrong. I'm going to take everything off the walls, clean and reseal properly (hoping I can reuse the door frame). Got a few questions and would really appreciate some help!

• The two corner tiled verticals are leaking - these were grouted and then siliconed over originally. This sounds like a mistake as grouted corners are prone to cracking and advice seems to be to only silicone.... How do I fix this? Is replacing the silicone enough, or should I try and rake out all the vertical grout, so they are only silicone? See picture: https://ibb.co/H2XXHHg

• When I replace the bifold door, I need to seal behind the vertical metal channels and dry first, where the tiles meet the tray, I don't think this has been done correctly. How do I actually do this, because I want a decent bead of silicone around the entire tray, dried before fitting the vertical frames. However the frame channels need to sit flush with the tray. How do I make sure that small front section of silicone is also flush, or will it just compress fine when dry if I use the same size around the whole thing? Maybe I should just do a small flush bit at the front, let it dry and then join up with another main bead once the frame is on? I mean the bit behind here if not clear: https://ibb.co/6nTmqQw - I'm sure I'm over complicating, but this small section seems crucial to get correct!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
What are the walls? Plaster? .
Shower tray should be sealed at installation.Then tiled over and sealed again.

What are the walls? Plaster? .
Shower tray should be sealed at installation.Then tiled over and sealed again.

Yes walls are tiled on plaster, i'm not sure what sealing they did behind the tiles (low expectations). My main concern is fixing the grouted vertical corners and the main gap at the bottom between tray/tiles.

Yes walls are tiled on plaster, i'm not sure what sealing they did behind the tiles (low expectations). My main concern is fixing the grouted vertical corners and the main gap at the bottom between tray/tiles.
If the tiling wasn’t done correctly then it’s unlikely sealing will be successful .

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I think it is just the corner joint though where they used grout rather than silicone? That's bound to crack over time when silicone should have been used is it not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back