Correct Way To Vent New Bathroom Extractor Fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to install a inline extractor fan and will involve a sparky to wire this up correctly. I would like to ensure the job is done correctly and no short cuts taken.

Thinking of getting something like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/100mm-mix...l+Content&utm_content=TextLink&utm_term=58258

I have a attic above my bathroom:

1) Should I vent out via the roof or sofit? I have read in a couple of places that the soft is a bad idea as it helps circulate the air? Softit's appear to be solid wood panels painted white on my roof.

2) I have a old slate roof, can anyone recommend a flashing kit, if venting out to the roof is the correct way to go.

Thank you in Advance.

Sponsored Links
Personally I feel that the less interference to any roof the better so I'd go for the soffit......keep any vertical duct rise minimal and a slight continuous slope down to the soffit grille - which should be fixed so the louvres direct any steam away from the building.
John :)

I would use soffit.
That's expensive, available under £50.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the replies.

Can I make the hole in the sofit from the attic or does it need to be done from outside?

I assume it's best done from outside?

Do I need any particular type of grill on the sofit as its going to be facing downwards?

Also, should I get insulated ducting to avoid any condensation dripping back into the shower?

Thanks

Shaz

Sponsored Links
Soffit is the least preferable option.

More bends of the duct means less efficient extraction. Plus the position make back draughts and more back pressure when extracting more of a problem for the fan. Also harder to fit.

A vertical duct and terminal is the most efficient and even gives some natural ventilation when the fan is not on - avoiding internal condensation build up. Its also much easier to run the duct.

You can get generic lead slates for a terminal, or vent slates that can act as terminals.

Thank you for the feedback woody, can provide me a link to something that you think would be suitable for me please.

Google for " lead slate " , " roof slate vent ", " roof fan vent " etc

Here are some slate vents, but have a look as some are ventilators only and some can accept the duct from a fan www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/search?keywords=slate+vent . There are also lead slates on that site, but the angle of your roof determines which type you need.

That fan looks OK but I don't know about it for quality or life expectancy. Fit a rubber pad between any such fan and the structure to reduce any vibration noise.

Presumably, someone will be fitting this for you? So cost may be a factor. The soffit option is not to be completely ruled out, but is IMO, it is the less preferable option if there is an alternative. So just have a think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back