Correcting severe floorslope on suspended wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

Have just found this forum and looks like a great place to ask this question!

Im in the middle of renovating a 100ish year old ground floor conversion and would like to tackle the problem of severe floorslope (caused by subsidence a long time ago).

At the moment I would like to level the kitchen floor which at present has a 10 - 15cm drop at one side of the room. Work has been done in the past to deal with the subsidence. Steel beams have been added to support the joists in some areas which was revealed by lifting floorboards). Unfortunately this work did not rectify the problem of the slope but seems to have been aimed at halting more downward movement (building has sagged in the middle).

Anyway enough of the sob story. I would like to level the floor without too much fuss and definitely not removing joists so I can have a flat kitchen floor for new kitchen etc. So do I -

1. Bolt doublers onto the existing joists to make them all even. Then refit tounge and grove floorboards or treated chipboard pannels (not sure about these for a kitchen?)

2. Lift floorboards. Cut battens/wedges to lay on joists to make them level
then refit floorboards. Reckon this would be tricky to get right as each joist needs different ammount of correction...

3. Sod the fact the house has character but does not have one right angle in it and sell it and buy a new house that I can afford even less.

Eventually want to lay a rubber/marmolium floor as final finish.

What do you think?

Worried about condensation issues if I just build another floor on top of old one plus not a very robust solution I think.

Will post how I get on.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes. Number 1 without a doubt. Not that big a job either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back