Correctly "patching up" cracks in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a 20s semi that likes to move around a fair bit (don't ask) This means there are smallish cracks all over the place.

In the upstairs back bedroom I want to do a room renovation / redecorate but there are some ceiling cracks that need sorting out. Lath and plaster ceiling. Main crack about .5 - 1mm wide that goes right across the ceiling. I know that any normal methods of filling, sanding etc is not going to work since it will just open again and look a mess.

I have heard that if you use a shavehook to really open it up and then apply a firm wet mix of pva and plaster powder the result may be more forgiving of movement, anyone tried this with success or could offer any other solutions that might work?

Sponsored Links
I use toupret flexible filler, which was a pain to get on as it slumps as well, looked good for a couple of weeks and now it looks pants.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back