Ceiling cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
In the summer of 2014 I had a new ceiling installed in my living room after a water leak under the floorboards upstairs. As well as the new ceiling I ended up having to have all the walls plastered too, and everywhere redecorated.

The insurance company paid for the lot.

About November time I noticed a ceiling crack that has now spread right across the room from wall to window, about 20 foot in almost a straight line, and in some places its wide enough to get a fingernail in. I have also noticed other very fine cracks on the ceiling and on three of the walls too from ceiling to floor.

I contacted the company who I asked to do the work on behalf of the insurance company and a few weeks before xmas they sent back the decorator who said "its a plasterers job to fix it."

So I phoned them again.

And in January they sent back the plasterer who said that "I should expect some cracks and that he had done a proper job and that its the Decorators job to fix it."

So I phoned them again

In February they sent a team of decorators to 'one strike' the ceiling crack, whatever that means, and repaint it, but they said it would "probably still be visible and they had not been told to fix the walls", so I said I wanted it all fixing, so they rang their office and then they packed up and went away and I have heard nothing since.

Now can someone tell me if I am being awkward asking for my walls and ceiling to not have any cracks in them? Are a few cracks expected?

Should I ring them back AGAIN or should I ring the insurance company and complain?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

CHEERS

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like they never used scrim tape.

Joe's right, they probably never taped the joints in the new ceiling. It IS the plasterer's job to sort out the cracks, NOT the decorators. Also, for the "plasterer" to say "you should expect to get some cracks" says it all about the plasterers who did your job. Get onto the insurance company and complain about the shoddy carry on you're having, trying to get your job finished properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back