Corrugated Bitumen Sheet Fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The end of our back garden backs onto the main A2 road which is only about 20ft further away and at the same level. The existing 1.6m high timber feather edge boarded fence needs replacing and I want to built a fence which will also reduce the noise from the traffic and am thinking of using 2m high corrugated bitumen roofing sheets which I believe because of the corrugations and being more solid than the existing fence will reflect some of the noise. I intend fixing these to the outside of 75x75 square timber arris rails, feather edge boarding on the inside with loft insulation sandwiched between in a protective layer of Visqueen to keep it dry. All this will be fixed between the new 4x4 timber posts that will bolted to existing concrete spurs. Has anyone any experience of using these sheets for a similar purpose and how effective was it, the literature states the sheets should give a 7dB noise reduction.
Fence.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I've only used corrugated bitumen sheets for roofing (is it called Coraline or something?) and I was very much aware of how non rigid the stuff is - needing much support.
As for the noise reduction, I have my doubts there but that's not based on any experience at all.
John :)

Caroline, Onduline and Orodine are the manufacturers I have found. The depth of the profile is 38mm and stiff enough over 1m vertical span between arris rails, it will only be taking wind loading. I would think it is as strong as the existing feather edge boarding and not as flammable which is another consideration with the oiks that pass by at night. A 10db reduction halves the noise level so 7db should reduce it by about a third and then I am adding additional insulation.

Sponsored Links
Using the corrugated stuff on the outside should be an advantage providing all holes (overlaps etc.)are 100% air sealed. Its whole surface would then act a bit like a drum skin. so I don't think that the GF or feather boarding will damp this out, you need mass. All in all, though being sympathetic to you problem, I cannot see any solution to it.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back