Corsa Club 1st annual service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2009 Corsa Club Automatic
1400cc
10,000 miles

Last May I bought the above car, and am very pleased with it.
Today I contacted the Vauxhall dealership about its first service and was told the charge would be £195.00 inc. vat.
I asked what their hourly rate was and what was I getting for this amount, the hourly rate was £75.00. and I would get an oil change, and filter, the brake pads checked, tyre pressure and lights checked.

Is this a reasonable charge, and how long would it take a professional to do this service.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I wish I could charge £75 per hour.....!
This will take a mechanic about 1 hour - for the rest of the day the car will be standing around.
You can use an independent garage for this work - 'so long as the work and parts are in accordance with Vauxhall recommendations'. the service book can be stamped too.
John :)

Buy the consumables off the Vauxhall garage, get a receipt, then let a reputable back street garage do the work.
And stamp your service book. £195.00 inc vat they are having a laugh.

Thank you!
You have both brightened up what would otherwise have been a dull and expensive day (mentally speaking).
In part of the letter reminding me it says, and I am sorry it is so long, but I would value your Comments.

"Having your vehicle serviced within the dealer network not only increases resale value to your vehicle but can also help with any manufacturer goodwill contributions should your vehicle have any major failures after the 3 year 60,000 mile warranty expires.
This could be applied up to 5 years from date of registration (or 100,000 miles) providing your claim falls into the necessary criteria.
Goodwill contributions will not be applied to vehicles that have been serviced or maintained outside of the dealer network.
Vehicles serviced within the dealer network are checked for any manufacturer reworks should your vehicle have any outstanding."

Does this carry any weight would you think?
And thanks again.

Sponsored Links
If you intend to flog your car on when it is still only a couple of years old, i.e is likely to grace the forecourt of a main dealer, then a dealer stamped book could be an advantage - but its more likely to be used as a bargaining point rather than anything else.
As for 'future goodwill payments' - now they are having a larf.
In your case, as your car has an auto transmission, consider extra warranty if you are keeping it longer than 3 years. I know I'm having an issue with automatics these days, but any repair is more than the cars value, more often than not.

Thanks Burnerman, now I'm a bit concerned.
I bought the car because I'm 73 and this will probably be my last one, hence to attempt to be sensible about servicing.
I think that the warranty is for three years already, my last automatic Corsa I had for eight years, without any problem.
I am reluctant to go back to this dealership now, purely because of the comments concerning the service charge.
I will get the parts and get a small local business to do the change, if they will that is..
Could you tell me what exactly are the parts that I need to purchase from Vauxhalls, including the oil type and its amount.
I really appreciate the response to my original question.
Also it will be great if I can support local small business.
thanks again

Good morning!
If you go into any Vauxhall dealer armed with your registration number, they wil provide you with the correct oil, oil filter and sump seal for your car. Thats just about all that will be done at this mileage, apart from fluid top ups if necessary, and a peek at the front disc pad condition.
Other than a tyre pressure check and a general perusal all round, thats all they will do.
Keep the receipt for your parts, and mark the date and mileage on it.
I'm not trying to be a scaremonger regarding the auto box - just I have an 06 Focus in at the moment with 40k on the clock. Its transmission is playing up and Ford don't know what to do with it. In fact its gone to an auction for £3250...hence my rant.
Good luck with yours - remember you can extend the warranty after 3 years if you wish.

Although having the vehicle serviced at a Vauxhall garage will raise its resale value a little, it will be less than the money you save now on having it serviced at a decent back street garage.

Thank you all once again, I am convinced!
The car is due for service at the end of the month, 30th May,
and I will be away until the 27th, I'll get the parts before I go, suss out the garage and report back after the event, i.e. 31st!
I am very, very grateful.

Just thought that I would update my question..
I took most of the advice given here, went to my local reputable back street garage, with the vauxhall parts approx £60 (the oil was £40).
The garage, who have serviced my other Corsa's over the years, did the service for £23.50 (30 mins labour).
How does that seem? I know it saved me just on a £100. so thank you all very much.
I have heard that there are new rules concerning Servicing by Main Dealerships... any info please.

Also, I told my friend about this Forum, he has a Honder, he needed a service, contacted the Dealership here and was quoted £260. he contacted his old Garage at Eastbourne,he was quoted £170. he went back to the dealership here, spoke to the Manager and was requoted £179. are we being ripped off at times?

Thanks again.

I should have said that the reason that I am responding so late is because I have been away.

Good morning!
It sounds like you have paid a completely realistic price for the work on your car - a bit of a change, it seems!
So long as the service book has been stamped, and the work was carried out on time, there will be no problem with any warranty.
You can actually save more if you want by choosing an engine oil to the same spec as the Vauxhall stuff - Millers Oils are first class products and can recommend one of their brews for you.
Manufacturers have always insisted that work is carried out by their main dealers - just a way of removing more cash from your wallet.....!

Honestly if you're 73, I wouldn't be to bothered about keeping the car stamped by the dealer.

My car hasn't lost any value and it's got full service history, It wont make a diffrence in the private buyer market just keep it serviced by a reptuable garage.

Honestly if you're 73, I wouldn't be to bothered about keeping the car stamped by the dealer.

My car hasn't lost any value and it's got full service history, It wont make a diffrence in the private buyer market just keep it serviced by a reputable garage.

We used to believe that the value of a car can be doubled by placing lots of aftermarket auto parts like an expensive audio system.. Yet service history could be tampered now and it only takes £20 to create a fake service history for a vehicle to substantiate fake mileage thus increase a car’s value by 100 percent.

Sponsored Links
Back