corsa starting prob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a corsa 1.2l 1994/5, the model with an immobiliser (oblong black box underneath steering column).

When we got it it started and ran fine and there were no obvious issues. 5 days later someone tried stealing it. I have replaced and correctly rewired the ignition switch etc. Now it refuses to start. I know im missing something daft so can anyone provide some input? Anything positive will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Switch on the ignition and wait......... does the "spanner" light on the dash flash very rapidly ? If so, the immobiliser system is not recognising the transponder chip in the key. Please supply more information on what's actually happening when you try and start the car.

Hi there and thank you for your input.

No, the engine management light doesn't flash, i think ive narrowed it down to a fuel flow problem as everything else seems to be in order: Theres a spark, the engine turns over ok, etc. However even though the fuel pump operates on turning the key, there doesn't seem to be any fuel getting to the carb!!

Is this a blockage, an airlock or something more sinister?? there is fuel in the tank albeit not a huge amount.

Thank you.

Vauxhall fuel gauges are prone to being unreliable. You must have at least a quarter of a tank. Your car should be fuel injected. If you have a spark, you should also have injection, therefore you must have a faulty fuel pump.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for that, how do you access the fuel pump, is it by removing the rear seat?

Yes, I think you can remove the rear seat, and then an access panel. On some cars you have no alternative but to take the tank out. There should be some 'fat' wires on the fuel pump, and some 'thin' ones. The fat ones are the feed and earth for the fuel pump. Check that you have a live feed to one of these wires while you are cranking the engine over, and also check the earth. If these are o/k, remove the pump from the tank. Be very careful not to create any sparks, or use a hot torch in this area. Disconnect the battery also before starting any work. Once the pump is out, don't put a live and earth to it to see if it works, as it may blow up. Make sure it's completely free of petrol before you do anything like this, keep it away from the car, and don't stand next to it.

Back