Samsung washing m/c - drum started banging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Samsung 7kg washing machine, model no. WF0702WKE. We bought it around 5 years ago, it's an "Ecobubble" if that makes any odds.

Mid spin-cycle it started making a banging sound, with the drum obviously rotating off-centre. The best way I can explain it is that it sounded like we'd chucked a brick in there. It was doing this for approximate a minute until I turned if off, I noticed there wasn't any significant vibration coming through the chassis.

The machine wasn't overloaded, however I think the load had got knotted together over on one side so was unbalanced. Oddly, the machine didn't detect this (I believe it goes into error mode if heavily-unbalanced loads are present).

I've not ran the machine since, but took the top and back off this evening to try and diagnose the fault. The pulley at the back of the drum is running true and the bearing there appears to be fine. Likewise the belt and the motor pulley are good. The springs suspending the drum unit are in good condition and the shock absorbers underneath also appear to be doing their job. I couldn't actually see a concrete block in there but as the machine hadn't been jumping about I assume if there is one it is secure.

It appears as if the metal drum has come loose inside the drum assembly or buckled. When I manually rotate the drum it feels like it is rubbing against something in the same place on every rotation. Please excuse the mess, but I've uploaded a video to show.

Any thoughts? Are we looking at a pile of scrap here or is this a DIY/pro fix?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back