Cost of a boiler gas valve?

I will ask you a really simple question aston do you say to customers i am
going to charge you x amount to do the the job plus cost of parts and then charge them more than what you payed for the parts.

Simple yes or no

I give my customers a price which they are free to accept or otherwise. I make no claims as to cost at all, ever. Is that simple enough for you.

Now here's one for you again, how do you know what the engineer has or will pay for that valve.

Sponsored Links
Retail is £131.83 + VAT at Parts Center.

I would then charge £80 + VAT for fitting it.

Interesting Dave because you are again almost doing it cheaper than we would. You are making three visits for £80, client, HRPC, client !

We would charge £84 to visit and diagnose the problem.

At that stage the owner is free to do the repair himself, get someone else or let us do it for him. We will supply the parts or he can. TOTALLY TRANSPARENT !

If he wanted us to do it then we would get the valve and return and fit it and charge him probably about £130 as we need a slightly higher margin to cover the second visit.

If we had one in stock and brought it then we would probably charge him about £110. We would aim to charge about £10 more than the trade price from HRPC.

But we always charge for diagnosing the fault! We then fit any parts at no significant further charge. Pumps £65 etc.

If the customer wanted to supply the part on another day then we would probably charge an extra £36 for the second visit.

Tony

I often tell the customer that they can get parts cheaper on the net since someone once implied that I was overcharging. But if they want to save this money they must accept full responsibilty of supplying the correct part and that any guarantee regards the part is between them and their supplier. Also it will take at least a day for them to get the parts and I can usually get them off the shelf with good local stockists around here. Before I can tell the tale of the ravenheat 820/20 pump that shows up as being 1½" but is usually a 1" pump they always say 'OK just get it I am bloody freezing'

A Raven 820 that had a CP53 which was very noisy had 1½" flanges.

A nice new Grunny made all the difference and I am sure helped her sell the house!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Is the job not about giving customer satisfaction. Sorry i must have got that bit wrong.
LOcal merchant would that not in the majority of places be plumbcentre/ pts /travis who all have internet sites avialable already and who prices to us are quite low any way.

Its simple nobody is saying if you want to make X amount you cant but why LIE about it
FFS where is the lie?
I'll you where the lie is - it's in namsag's ridiculous and non-credible claim that he buys all parts over the Internet and never has a problem with any of them.

The rest of us support local merchants, and for very good reasons.

'Fess up namsag - you either charge more than you say, or you waste a lot of unpaid time when a part fails under warranty, or gets damaged in transit, or is late, or is wrong....

Softas try reading what was put, the customer can look on the internet to check prices.

As for obtaining parts yes i use pts and parts centre but they hold a limited stock as would any local independent , So if they dont have them i use gas appliance spares its a phone call exactly like a phone call to any other merchant.
I have never had a wrong or damaged part from them and it is always with me the next day . i wish i could say the same about parts centre. Only breakdown job that has failed under warranty in 8 years was a grundfoss pump, call me lucky or what ,But even with tens of thousands of jobs on the Board, failing parts where few and far between

So those arguing about retail and what they actually pay for there parts dont have the courage of there conviction to tell the customer what they are actually charging (making, no matter how you dress it up) and LIE to them that that the part cost them X amount . Why ??

What are they scared of do they not think they are worth it. ??

I show any invoice for parts costing over around 50 quid i have no problem at all with my customers knowing exactly how much i have charged them.

The job is about customer satisfaction and giving them a good service not about lying to them and leaving them feeling shafted

I guess next we will have the it helps pay for ACS and corgi yeah that works out at around a couple of quid a day

oooh i seem to have started an arguement. :)

I only asked as these days if i am buying anything these days i check the price on the internet. Obviously i know nothing about boilers hence i asked in here.

Just so you know i paid £250 all in. I read all your comments but seeing as i have a toddler and a pregnant wife in the house and the guy could fit it this morning, i paid it.

I have also just discovered brittish gas do a one off £168 charge no matter what the cost of the part. Altho' that could have been another day or 2 with no heat.........bloody hell, £82 more.......... :(

I have also just discovered brittish gas do a one off £168 charge no matter what the cost of the part. Altho' that could have been another day or 2 with no heat.........b****y hell, £82 more.......... icon_sad.gif
Look on the bright side! They could have been charging you the arbitrary figure of £11.00 a month or whatever for the last 3 years.At that rate you would have paid £396

Aston . You asked how would i know what the guy would have paid for the valve . Yeah i have know way of knowing but lets put it this way
The valve is
£92inc from gas -spares £96 inc from PTS and £105 inc from parts centre so i cannot see anyone in the trade paying £65 more for a part that is readily avialable . Why would he?

Yous would have loved the job i went to this morning gloworm 30ci ,lovely bit of plastic :rolleyes: manifold on left hand side pinholed and spraying water over the gas valve and took the board out as well.
God just think of the retail on them babies eh. Plus the couple of hours fitting. God could have been well over the £600 mark.

But hey lets help the customer here , phoned BG for her fixed price repair £192 , She has just phoned me to say they have already been out parts being fitted tomorrow. How much do i owe you she asks. Eh dont be silly i never done anything , full of thanks and when she goes back to work monday my name will be banded about the hundreds of people she works with and i will make good money on it for years to come.

I think its called customer care and satisfaction
Give it a try it works ;)

Aston . You asked how would i know what the guy would have paid for the valve . Yeah i have know way of knowing

I thought the penny had dropped then you add.

lets put it this way
The valve is
£92inc from gas -spares £96 inc from PTS and £105 inc from parts centre so i cannot see anyone in the trade paying £65 more for a part that is readily avialable . Why would he?

Feck me deja moo, same old bull.

Yous would have loved the job i went to this morning gloworm 30ci ,lovely bit of plastic icon_rolleyes.gif manifold on left hand side pinholed and spraying water over the gas valve and took the board out as well.
God just think of the retail on them babies eh. Plus the couple of hours fitting. God could have been well over the £600 mark.

Amazing, we've never met yet you know me so well :rolleyes:

But hey lets help the customer here , phoned BG for her fixed price repair £192 , She has just phoned me to say they have already been out parts being fitted tomorrow. How much do i owe you she asks. Eh dont be silly i never done anything , full of thanks and when she goes back to work monday my name will be banded about the hundreds of people she works with and i will make good money on it for years to come.

The only engineer ever to do that :rolleyes:

[/quote]I think its called customer care and satisfaction
Give it a try it works icon_wink.gif

There's a name for those that satisfy themselves and it does seem to suit you quite well :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back