Cost of Building a Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I live in N.E Scotland and am looking to get an attached garage built onto the side of my house. It would be approx 3m wide, 7m long and 2m high with an access door and a window at the rear and a garage door at the front and a flat roof.
Roughly how much should I be looking to pay? I have a set of drawings made up already so I just need it built. I've had a couple of quotes already which I think are way too high. I need to know if I'm being naive about the cost or if I'm being ripped off.
Any help would be appreciated.
Mike

Sponsored Links
pumabhoy said:
I've had a couple of quotes already which I think are way too high.
Would you mind telling us what the quotes was ?

I left out the quotes I had so it didn't influence anyone. Once I get a few ideas (hopefully from people who have had an attached garage built themselves) I'll let you all know. I'll just say this, there was about £2500 difference and both were from small building firms.
Mike

Done a very quick calulation,depending on materials quality, minimum £6000 plus.

A friend of mine paid £9400 for 8m x 3m freestanding including removing the old garage.I don't think you can really do a comparision as all garages are difference and depending on your area.

Best to get a few more quotes......

The cheapest option would be a pre-cast garage which don't need a footing but 6" base instead.

Sponsored Links
I had soome garage quotes, and was shocked at the prices for them, Ok so a few pipes onthe side of the house ( guttering had to be moved) , but was getting quotes for £15k :eek: , in West Yorkshire, even the architect was shocked, was hoping for sub £10k. Looking at getting car port now !

I have been looking into replacing my garage. I must say that you get a lot of garage for your money if you go the concrete prefab route. Some of the finishes are superb too, why not check out this You will get a superb garage for around £3-5K

Yeah. Had a look at those as well but I really wanted it attached to the side of the house. Cheapest quote for an attached garage was £7800. Comparable sized Compton garage was £3100 + whatever it costs for a base (£500?). My architect suggested around the £5000 mark for an attached garage.
I may look into doing it myself once the better weather comes in. Just take my time and do it over a month or 2.

pumabhoy said:
Had a look at those as well but I really wanted it attached to the side of the house.
You still can,

Why not buy a number of precast slabs you want into a L-shape then up/over door with pitch roof on top.The slab are approx £30 each (2m x 400mm) Easy isn't it and a lot cheaper ;) :)

How do the slabs fix together? Are they just bolted and sealed with mastic?

I've brought some at £15 a panel (second) if you don't mind a slight hairline cracks or slightly damaged on corner.

Not too keen on a prefab garage, not sure they are that good for your house return), my architect also suggested a far lower sum (like pumabhoy) £8-10k for the job,whereas the actual quotes were from £14k, how can so many architects so far out in their estimates, or have builders quotes gone up loads?

Right, I've been looking over the drawings to see what I'm able to do myself and where I will need help. At the front of the garage there will be side of house- 440mm wall-garage door-440mm wall in that order. There is a movement joint between side of house and 1st 440mm wall. Is the 440mm wall (bolted/screwed/clipped?) or is it just the movement joint that physically connects the side of the house to the 440mm wall. I have attached a picture of the movement joint as done by architect.
move.jpg

pumabhoy said:
Is the 440mm wall (bolted/screwed/clipped?)
You will need wall connector,the supporting frame with screw/plug into the wall then adjustable tie hook for blocks etc.Can you not have a wider up/over door instead of the 1st 440mm wall ?
f_universalwallconnector.jpg

Also see this

Still had no reply's from builders about quotes despite chasing them up etc. So it looks like I may tackle the job myself, however I have a few questions.

The front of the garage is 2 blocks thick and attached to the house using wall connectors (at 225mm vertical centres) and movement joint.

1. Do I put up 2 wall connectors for the 2 columns of blocks, or just 1 in the middle or either side of the 2 blocks?

2. As the 'frame' around the garage door is 440mm (the size of one block) do I lay them on their side or flat down or a mixture of both?

3. The roof is flat and slopes from front to back so do I build the side wall level and use wood to create the fall or is their another way?

Are their any good websites where I can get advice (or is it ok if I keep asking questions here)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back