Cost of Building a Garage

pumabhoy said:
1. Do I put up 2 wall connectors for the 2 columns of blocks, or just 1 in the middle or either side of the 2 blocks?
One for each wall.
2. As the 'frame' around the garage door is 440mm (the size of one block) do I lay them on their side or flat down or a mixture of both?
Not sure what you mean.
3. The roof is flat and slopes from front to back so do I build the side wall level and use wood to create the fall or is their another way?
Build the front and back wall with the side wall the same level as the back wall,put in your roofing section then build the other side wall up to your new roof slope level.
Are their any good websites where I can get advice
This is very good,see this.
(or is it ok if I keep asking questions here)
You can keep asking question as many as time you like but we don't have to answer it do we :LOL:

Sponsored Links
2. As the 'frame' around the garage door is 440mm (the size of one block) do I lay them on their side or flat down or a mixture of both?
Not sure what you mean.

Thanks for that Masona.

Right I'll try to explain.
The front of the garage is like this:-
440mm wall - garage door - 440mm wall

As 440mm is the size of 1 block (440x215x100) how do I build the wall up bearing in mind it will be 2 blocks thick (215).
bricks.jpg

1 is blocks layed on their side all the way up.
2 is blocks layed on their side and every 2 or 3 courses layed flat.

Also I was looking through the Wickes catalogue and they have medium density blocks (13.2kg) and Aerated blocks (6 kg). Is it the medium density blocks I would use?

Thanks

Celcon manufacture these blocks in a wide range of thicknesses from 90mm up to 355 mm.The one you want is 440mm x 215mm x 225mm. These can be quite heavy to lift and require care when laying to avoid squeezing out the mortar.
celcon or thermalite
169.cmp

Is that size block the only way or the best way of building the front.

Also of the 2 blocks in the last post which would be more suitable for the rest of the building? Medium density or aerated?

Sponsored Links
pumabhoy said:
Is that size block the only way or the best way of building the front.
Normally the 100mm wall thickness is for a cavity wall,you should use the 225mm celcon blocks on all the walls unless your drawing plan show difference or a single wall which then will need a brick pier.The most common wall is a Stretcher Bond,see this.
Medium density or aerated?
Up to you but normally the details for minimum spec should be on the drawing plan.

I think you should shop around for more quotes. I had a new detatched garage built (9mx 6m insulated,cavity wall, 3 upvc windows, 1 upvc door, double skin insulated sectional 14' x 7' electric door, concrete tiled hipped roof, upvc facias, sofits, gutters and steel reinforced floor + 40 amp electrics) for £12,000 two years ago. Unfortunately a lot of builders think that just because house prices have gone up , they can put their prices up accordingly.

i had my garage built 22ftx12ft in old money,detatched doudle skin brick/ block,traditional roof, all in cost me £4300.paid a mate to build the walls £650 and did all the rest myself.that included readymix for the floor,mixed for the footings myself,steel garage door in steel frame from wickes (doddle to fit) £400,roof timber,tiles etc.

I'm hoping to have a 20ft X 10ft(internal sizes)Detached Garage built next year.
Just roughly from the top of my head I'd say-

£500 - Base
£1000 - Window,Access Door & Main Door
£500 - Roof(Apex)
£500- Bricks
£100 - Electrics
-------------
£2600 Rough total for materials give and take.
-------------------------------

So I'm hoping to have the job done for £5000 by a builder, Thats in Merseyside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back