Cost of Chimney stack repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone advise on the cost of getting a Victorian chimney stack on a two-floor old house (about 2 ft across by 7 foot high). It is apparently "cracked" (What does that mean???) and will need to be repaired ..... or are chimneys taken down to roof level and re-built? Access to the chimney is easy.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
In the bottom right hand corner I believe. One roofer who went up there may well be trying to get some work. You can see though that the rain makes it quite damp so if it DID need removing I was wondering whether it would need taking down to roof level and re-building and just an idea of the cost. Would most roofers be able to do that or is it a job for a structural engineer?

You wont need a structural engineer, 1st thing i would do is get another couple of roofers to give an assesement.

The rendering could be doing with getting redone, cant comment on the crack as the pic doesnt show it up.

If it does need taken down (which i doubt) a brickie would be who you are looking for and possibly a roofer/plumber for any leadwork.

Many thanks for that. I have learnt a lesson here - don't employ a roofer who asks for scaffolding to be erected before he gets on the roof!!!
Just had a quote two minutes ago to repair the lead flashing down the join between the two properites, re-render the (possibly) offending chimney and the area round the flashing and replace two facias boards front and rear of the roof and was quote £1,850 for two days work with a team of two doing it with their own ladders .......... is this an okay priice??

do you plan to use the chimney in future, for example with a fireplace, gas fire or coal stove?

if not, it is a one-off job to take down the chimney into the loft, and remake the roof above it. If the roof is properly done, this reduces future maintenance and problems with damp. You leave the flues open into the loft so it stays ventilated, there is no need to remove the chimneybreasts inside the rooms, but it will be easier, if and when you do, without a chimney on top of them.

Just had a quote two minutes ago to repair the lead flashing down the join between the two properites, re-render the (possibly) offending chimney and the area round the flashing and replace two facias boards front and rear of the roof and was quote £1,850 for two days work with a team of two doing it with their own ladders .......... is this an okay priice??

That sounds a bit steep! especially without any scaffold costs involved.

Even with new lead you will be lucky if material costs come to £300 tops.

Make sure whoever re-renders the chimney removes the aerial dont let them render over the top of the wires.

deffo would be getting another couple of quotes.

Thanks for the replies gents - I have lived here for ten years and never used the fireplace and have no plans too, but my neighbour does. So far I have been quoted three figures (none of the roofers seemed keen to get on the roof either to see whether there was pointing of flashing damage.... or both) and the quotes have varied by £800!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back