Cost of fuel

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
D

david and julie

Have you noticed how diesel ( I presume petrol too) as been creeping up over the last month or so. I paid 81p a litre today the same garage was 77p a litre about a month ago. Don't remember Gordon putting it up, Has the oil barrel price changed or something?

Sponsored Links
david and julie said:
Has the oil barrel price changed or something?
Sadly yes !
I work for an oil refinery and the petrol and diesel make a wafer-thin profit margin. The only reason you see an oil refinery making a huge profit is because of a high turnover with lower profit.

I will tell you, but I shouldn't ! (sod it, I feel angry)

Example, 78p per Litre the company make 1p per litre profit, therefore approx 5p per gallon profit. It cost us 12p per litre to refine through the progess, so we sell it for 13p per litre, now work out what this government make. Also we sell it to the supermarket petrol forecourt for less than 12p per litre so we are making a loss ! We are better off investing in a building society with a better return.

On top of this, we also pays £265million for permission to search for North Sea oil - I give up

This government make 65p per litre ( a shocking £2.92 a gallon) and oh by the way we made £600,000,000 profit on petrol in the first 3 month on a 1p profit. So 65p x £600,000,000 (government profit ) - do the calculations yourself. Greedy or what ?

We only make profit on oil,gas and bitumen.

We pay high tax because Gordan Brown adds tax to the price of a litre.

My company paid £2.3 billion in tax in the last half year - enough to build 131 general hospitals or 214 state-of-the-art comprehensive schools.

Sorry to tell this because I'm angry, we are losing money, we have now been told there be will 450 redundancy out of 750 up to the year end of 2005.

Masona..... sorry to hear about the redundances hope it doesn't effect you.

A friend of mind works at S**ll computer centre in Manchester he told me they were moving a lot of IT jobs to the far east over the next few years, he was hoping he would be OK because he speaks fluent dutch.

What on earth do Tony and Gordon do with all the dosh! Do they still put VAT on top of the duty?

Is it any wonder people experiment with running diesels on old chip-pan oil (even though you are meant to pay duty on this as well).

Well, this is just typical isn't it. The government is taking 65p a litre on our petrol... how many litres sold will cover the dole for those out of the 450 who can't find a new job? Perhaps J-P will be so kind as to order another couple of Jaguars just to make sure the petrol gets sold. :mad:

Sponsored Links
david and julie said:
VAT on top of the duty?
Yes, that was included in the price of 65p ( 55p + VAT )

My company pay £31million a day tax as opposed to Virgin's £124,500 a day and yet everyone think the world of Richard Branson who pay less tax and we still get motoring groups that my company has profiteered from high forecourt prices are absolute rubbish !

sorry to hear about the redundances hope it doesn't effect you
Nobody will know until the end of the year, Happy Christmas :eek:

Masona I agree Government is a rip off, but..... making something for 12p and selling 13p is over 8% mark up. Which building society do you use?

I think they are just being greedy with redundancies, the top few (fat cats)
seem to do this then always grab more for themselves, still I suppose if we were in the same position most of us would too.

Bl**dy insensitive announcing it at christmas though, but typical all the same.

david and julie said:
Masona I agree Government is a rip off, but..... making something for 12p and selling 13p is over 8% mark up. Which building society do you use?
Sorry I wasn't clear, the profit just at the refinery but out of that profit we have to shift the petrol via roadcars to forecourt which almost wipe out the profit including selling it cheaper to supermarket forecourt and we have to pay tax out of that !!!. A petrol tanker (30,000 litres) leave the our terminals every 5 mins, almost as busy as Gatwick ! We would be lucky to gain approx 2% profit ! We make profit on oil, gas & bitumen to offset the wafer-thin profit margin on petrol and on top of that we pay the highest percentage business tax than any other UK company.

just out of curiosity, how do they fill an oil tanker lorry?

I have watched the delivery at a petrol station, do they connect a pipe to the same vavles and put it in?

or is there a big "petrol cap" on the top they open and put in a big pipe with a trigger on it......................fill'er up mate :LOL:

breezer said:
or is there a big "petrol cap" on the top they open and put in a big pipe with a trigger on it......................fill'er up mate :LOL:
You nearly got it right :LOL:

It called TFS (Tank Filling System) with a hydraulic loading arm with a large cone on the bottom and the instrument air lock it into the roadcar. The driver have a swipecard DIU (Driver Interface Unit) to accept his load via the computer which is downloaded by the account department.
This to stop the fiddling in the old days ! I don't think I better say anymore on that how they did it !! It's now foolproof apart from last year, we has a petrol tanker hijacked from us and they threw the driver out of the cab, the driver okay now. You don't hear it in the newspaper as my company do not want bad publicly.

The Bitumen loading is done the same way but by using weightbridge as it's done by weight and not volume.

masona said:
This to stop the fiddling in the old days

I remember my dad telling me about an incident when he worked in a garage when he was 20-ish. The tanker driver mis-used the tanker dipstick to try and fiddle. Involved bouncing it against the bottom of the tanker so it would sound a loud clang and he could claim it was empty, I believe (I could be wrong though, haven't heard the story in a while!)

AdamW said:
(I could be wrong though, haven't heard the story in a while!)
No, you're right ! They use engineer brick inside the tanker on the floor level to rest the dip stick on to get a false reading, 3" difference is a lot of petrol ! The another trick was a measurement on both side of the dip stick with 2 difference reading !
We do not use dip stick anymore.

According to BBC News 24, terrorist threats are pushing up barrel prices, and we are at a 30, sorry 13 year high....

I filled up today, in case it shoots. Should last me 600 miles anyway.

(I was only listening and I'm HOH!!)

Then this morning on the ITV 24h news, I saw footage of a Texaco in London, with a price in the background for derv. Get this - 84.9!!!!!!

B****r me!!!

Talking about fiddling, I used to have a driver who alway's filled up at ASDA, which was about 3 miles away from base, whilst the other drivers filled up at the end of the road. When I pulled him up,he said it was because he had a club card and wanted his point's, cheeky s*d, he was also trying to book overtime because of the traffic getting back from there!

Sponsored Links
Back