Cost of knock through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Getting three quotes before going ahead, the rule of thumb, suggestions on what the price should roughly be for the following work.

Knock through into extension, supply and fit beam,

Beam span is 3.4M the beam is double 152 x 152 x 30UC S275 seated on two pad stones, bolted together. There is no further building work for this to go ahead, no piers to be built etc.

I'll be getting rid of the rubble, this is to supply and fit knock out the wall.

Two beams are roughly 650-800 delivered.

Quotes so far around £1800, builder suggests one days work, factor in an additional half day for contingency .

Seem reasonable? Location is South East (Kent).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This is not making good, just knocking out fitting the support.

I'm not knocking the price, I'm checking it's the right price (two quotes so far).

Sounds right to me - About £700/day for a couple of guys plus some business overheads.

Part of that cost is the insurance and responsibility, for if it went terribly wrong.

Don't forget the cost of the pad stones, albeit not much cost.

A day sounds a little quick to me, allowing for propping, demolition, fitting pad stones (And letting the mortar set?!), lifting in steels, bolting them, packing them up. I'd certainly expect to see them the second day for a while.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Getting three quotes before going ahead, the rule of thumb, suggestions on what the price should roughly be for the following work.

Knock through into extension, supply and fit beam,

Beam span is 3.4M the beam is double 152 x 152 x 30UC S275 seated on two pad stones, bolted together. There is no further building work for this to go ahead, no piers to be built etc.

I'll be getting rid of the rubble, this is to supply and fit knock out the wall.

Two beams are roughly 650-800 delivered.

Quotes so far around £1800, builder suggests one days work, factor in an additional half day for contingency .

Seem reasonable? Location is South East (Kent).

Thanks
How do a pair of 152mm wide beams (even butted together) end up sitting centrally under a cavity wall? How wide is the wall overall?

Yes the price sounds good although a wee but low if it includes disposal of waste.

I’m guessing there are hire costs in that, genie SL10 material lift, then a rows and strong boys.

Maybe some timber as well to spread load on ceiling joists etc.

if the price includes VAT, then it’s £1500+ vat

so £650+vat beams, £150+vat hire cost, £700+vat Labour.

Sounds right to me - About £700/day for a couple of guys plus some business overheads.

Both of them work alone.

Part of that cost is the insurance and responsibility, for if it went terribly wrong.

Don't forget the cost of the pad stones, albeit not much cost.

A day sounds a little quick to me, allowing for propping, demolition, fitting pad stones (And letting the mortar set?!), lifting in steels, bolting them, packing them up. I'd certainly expect to see them the second day for a while.

I'd imagine, they would return on second or third day to remove acro's once everything is set.

How do a pair of 152mm wide beams (even butted together) end up sitting centrally under a cavity wall? How wide is the wall overall?

Yes the price sounds good although a wee but low if it includes disposal of waste.

Good point, wall is 275 - but the idea is to push them up into the ceiling so that they're covered. SE has drawn up another option to use a larger beam with a welded plate.

I’m guessing there are hire costs in that, genie SL10 material lift, then a rows and strong boys.

Maybe some timber as well to spread load on ceiling joists etc.

if the price includes VAT, then it’s £1500+ vat

so £650+vat beams, £150+vat hire cost, £700+vat Labour.

I was thinking along these lines - it's probably more like £1500 if VAT is on the quote (it doesn't actually say).

If gge wall is 275m what happens with the excess beam width?
Absolutely effing bonkers and lazy.

If gge wall is 275m what happens with the excess beam width?
Absolutely effing bonkers and lazy.

NoSeall, what is best practice here then? Doesn't the excess beam width get carried into the floor? How do you get around it? Have another beam with welded plate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back