Question about knocked-through living room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just curious about how my house is constructed (without having to knock through plaster to work it out), really.

I live in a 2-up 2-down Victorian terraced with a through lounge. Only been there a year so I think the work was done a long time ago. The wall above the removed one, that separates the bedrooms, sounds like brick when tapped so I'd have thought that both would be supporting walls. But there is no horizontal RSJ in the living room - it might be concealed in the ceiling but nothing magnetises to it so I'm not sure.

The only part of the living room wall that's left are vertical remnants on either side. These are magnetic, but only on the corners, but going all the way from floor to ceiling. Otherwise it sounds hollow / plasterboard, as if they are x-shaped vertical beams maybe?

The house hasn't fallen down so it's not a worry, I'm just wondering how the hell it's been done!

Sponsored Links
You would need to lift floor to see. Prob an RSJ in there.

How wide is the span? Could be a flitch beam if the span is short, or maybe you need a stronger magnet?

It could also be that the beam is somewhat shallower than the joists so it’s 40mm or so away from the surface of the plaster.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and bet a whole £ that there’s a beam of some description in there somewhere…

The corners will be magnetic because of the angle beads for the skim coat of plaster. They are close to the surface so the magnet will pick them up easily.

How wide is the span?
Almost 3m. I mean there has got to be something in there or else the whole thing would collapse very quickly surely?
maybe you need a stronger magnet?
Yeah probably, it's just the dinky one on the end of a tape measure.

The corners will be magnetic because of the angle beads for the skim coat of plaster.
Having just googled angle beads, that would make sense. As you can probably tell I know nothing about construction but it's always good to learn

Sponsored Links
Possible that opening in lounge was never there and room was originally divided by glazed partion/doors that have been removed and wall upstairs supported off double floor joists. Does upstairs wall support ceiling joists, if not it is not load bearing as such.

If it’s Victorian it’s most likely the wall supports ceiling joists and purlin props.

Usual for joists to span onto the spine wall in Victorian properties, plus the nibs left either end would suggest they are supporting something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back