Cost of Replacement Gas Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has an old Potterton floor standing conventional gas boiler, early 1960's vintage, that is now reaching the end of it's useful life. It's noisy and inefficient. Can anyone give an indication of the approx. cost of purchase and installation of a replacement condensing gas boiler?
The existing flue is vertical through the kitchen roof and I imagine the replacement would have to be be wall mounted with a balanced flue?
It would need a new electronic programmer as the old one is a basic clockwork one. Also is it likely that any other parts of the system would need replacing, eg. the hot water cylinder? The rads seems in generally good condition and would probably just need flushing.
The system is running 8 radiators and 2 towel rails, plus a hot water cylinder. It's a 2 bedroomed chalet bungalow, plus lounge/dining room/kitchen/hall heated. As I don't know the actual BTU rating of the old one, I realise the estimates will be approx but just trying to get an idea of the expenditure involved.
Finally, would I be better going to an independent contractor or someone like British Gas? I have been told that Vaillant are one of the best brands to go for. Thanks.

As htgeng says, please see forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
We cannot give prices on this forum. There are too many uknowns! You will have to get someone to look at your property and quote from there. Suggest that BG will give you a ballpark to work at. There are many different makes of boiler and suggest you get a few different recommendations before you go ahead.

Instead of BG why not ask your friends family etc if they know a reliable, reccomendable local contractor? Could save you a small fortune on a BG price

Don't use BG unless you have just won the lottery :rolleyes:

Try your local council to see if they have a list of approved and vetted local installers.

Mine does it's called Norfolk Home Call, of which I am a member. Yours may have a similar scheme

Very ball park figure £2100 - £2400 + VAT.

Is she entitled to any grants etc? If so any job that includes grant work for heating (full or partial grant) can be charged at 5% VAT ;)

This would save her a bit as well :)

Sponsored Links
Get BG in for a quote first then an independent as it will leave a nice smile and warm feeling when you compare the two.
Pete

bg dont fit vaillant anyway.

just remeber when you do get your quotes to compare them like for like after removing the boiler price from it. too often we hear the BG is too expensive cry, when in actual fact they are sometimes offering more. this is unlikely to be the case if your not an existing customer though....in which case an independants quote will likely blow BG out of the water.

Back to the original question!

The just replace the old boiler with a Worcester Greenstar 18Ri or similar would only need to be about £1300.

However, the cylinder is probably very old and needs upgrading and proper controls and then TRvs on every radiator and all that might come to about an extra £1000. So £2300 inclusive would be about right.

Tony

BG do fit valliants. But a system aproaching 40 year old is probably gravity and one pipe so in reality wole lot would need changing and to get benefit of new boiler etc new rads would be advisable . Nothin to do with installer profit but better to rip out the whole lot an start again..

Half a ton of old boiler, new gas pipe possibly, new controls and wiring, reroute pipes, powerflush, new cylinder, new rad valves all round, remove/replace header tank.
£3k if you're lucky.
Central London, more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back