Oil heating. Replace with gas? Costs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive just moved into a new house. 1970s constructed so not the best insulated in the world but decent loft insulation and double glazing.
It has oil central heating with an old indirect cylinder and a newish 21kw boiler.
Gas was installed in the road a few years back.
I'm thinking of making some changes to the heating anyway. Probably replacing indirect cylinder with thermal store and moving the Boiler (to the other side of the wall where it is so minimal work involved)
Obviously there is an option to replace with gas. BG want £280 to put us on the gas main and I reckon about £3000 to supply and fix a boiler and flue (Assuming me or someone else fits the new cylinder and plumbs the primaries etc)
Any ideas what the payback time is for going with gas over oil at those sort of installation costs or where I can find data to calculate it?

Sponsored Links
Yes, at the moment oil is 17% cheaper than piped Natural Gas and an oil boiler, if >2007 on, is at least as efficient as a gas high efficiency boiler.

So using this year's figures, you will be 17% worse off on annual energy bills, plus of course the £3280 to British Gas you will never see again.

yeah, cooking by electricity and I would change for gas - I'm guessing that is a simple cost comparison as gas and elec can both be costed in Kwh
Oil boiler is a grant 21kw and was installed in 2014 - so pretty efficient I guess.
I knew oil was cheap at the moment - but not that cheap! I'd better see if I can forward purchase some!

Given those prices and the cost of installing a gas boiler, I'll stick with the oil and spend the money to make the hot water and heating more effiicent

Sponsored Links
To be honest I havent really paid much attention to the price of gas at my old house. It was superinsulated timber frame with UFH and a thermal store. The energy usage wasn't that huge and I just paid a monthly direct debit for my gas which was never high enough to really pay much attention to. I guess I'll need to pay more attention in the new place!

If you did want to switch from oil to gas I would advise you do it once the oil boiler is at or near the end of its life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back