Cost to run oil boiler for full 1 hour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can someone tell me how much it would cost to run a worcester greenstar 50/70kw oil boiler for a full hour.
Cost of oil is approx 44p per litre.
Efficiency of boiler is 92%

I am trying to work out how much it costs to heat a standard indirect foam insulated cylinder measuring 1500x400mm.

many thanks guys

Sponsored Links
I dont know how helpful this will be to you, but it may help to fill a gap somewhere!
Oil - 44p per lit
SEDBUK EFF - 92%

1 litre of oil burnt at 100% efficiency will release 10kw of heat
SO...
In your case at 92% efficiency your boiler will release 9.2kw of useable heat.
To find this out you divide 10kw by SEDBUK of 92%, this gives you the useable heat, as ive already stated.

So for a litre of oil at 44p, you take this figure and divide by the useable heat (9.2kw)..........44p/9.2kw= 4.8p

Finally this means that every kw will cost you 4.8pence

Thats as far as i can go without pulling all my paper work out!!
Hope it helps :D

The specific heat capacity of water is 4.187 kiloJoules per litre per degree Celsius,
The cylinder holds, say, 150 litres of water.
The water is heated from 10 degrees to 60 degrees C, (ie by 50 degrees)

The energy required to heat the water is 50 X 150 X 4.187 kiloJoules.

That's 31402.5 kiloJoules

If the boiler is 92% efficient, the heat input required will be 31402.5 X (100/92) = 34133 kJ

The calorific value of heating oil is about 38,000 kiloJoules per litre,

So it requires 34133 / 38000 = 0.8982 litres of oil to heat 150 litres of water by 50 degrees.

To allow something for inefficiencies and losses from the cylinder and pipework, let's round that up to a litre of oil.

For comparison, 1 litre of oil is equivalent to about 10.5 kiloWatt hours of electricity.

To run the boiler absolutely flat out for an hour, the costs would be something like this:-

If the boiler input is 50 kiloWatts, it will burn 50/10.5 = 4.76 litres per hour, delivering 50 X 92% = 46 kWh of heat.

If the boiler output is 70 kilowatts, it would burn 70/10.5 X (100/92) = 7.25 litres per hour.

TicklyT, your head must be MASSIVE with that wealth of knowledge inside it, much bigger than mine :!:
Im a bit jealous 2 b honest!!!!

Good stuff :D

Sponsored Links
TicklyT, your head must be MASSIVE with that wealth of knowledge inside it, much bigger than mine :!:
Im a bit jealous 2 b honest!!!!

Good stuff :D

You learn fast, he does indeed have a big head :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back