How Much Oil Will My Oil Boiler Use In One Hour?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

If I run my oil boiler which is a Warmflow Bluebird 120/150 Non Condensing boiler for 1 full hour non stop how much oil will it use?

Defra website says it is 35Kw and 85% efficient.

I had Warmflow engineer service it and he produced a printout after service that said it was 44kw and 91.8% efficient.

I hope this is enough information for someone to tell me how many litres it will burn in one continuous hours usage.

Sponsored Links
Do you know what the jet size is? They are marked typically .60 80' H
Which means the nozzle will pass .60 US gall / hour, spraying at an 80 degree fan, with a Hollow (H) cone spray.
John :)

Do you know what the jet size is? They are marked typically .60 80' H
Which means the nozzle will pass .60 US gall / hour, spraying at an 80 degree fan, with a Hollow (H) cone spray.

1.25 x 80 H Nozzle - is on the invoice after the service as a part that was replaced

1. Does that mean it will use 1.25 US gallons / hour which is 1.04 UK gallons which is 4.72 litres / hour at full blast?

2. Why does the Kw vary from 35 - 44kw how do i change that or know which it is?

Thank you

Yep - when the burner is set to the required pump pressure, that nozzle will pass 1.25 US gallons of kerosene for each hour the burner is running.
The manufacturer advises which nozzle to use to get the required kW output.
Personally I don't really trust the efficiency figures, but thats just me!

Sponsored Links
Yep - when the burner is set to the required pump pressure, that nozzle will pass 1.25 US gallons of kerosene for each hour the burner is running.
The manufacturer advises which nozzle to use to get the required kW output.
Personally I don't really trust the efficiency figures, but thats just me!

The printout after the service shows
pump pressure ( Bar ) 8
NFGT (degrees C ) 186
Nozzle Size 12.3

Does that sound right for my calcs above. I am trying to compare cost of running oil boiler against electric radiators at approx 16p per kw

The results sound ok to me - oil pump pressure is typically between 100 psi and 140 psi for 28 sec kerosene (yours is 115.2 psi) the flue gas temperature is fine, I don't understand the nozzle size at 12.3 but what is missing is the carbon dioxide output - which is typically between 10.5 and 11.5%.
Sorry but I don't have your boiler specification to hand - but it will be cheaper to use than electric radiators!

The results sound ok to me - oil pump pressure is typically between 100 psi and 140 psi for 28 sec kerosene (yours is 115.2 psi) the flue gas temperature is fine, I don't understand the nozzle size at 12.3 but what is missing is the carbon dioxide output - which is typically between 10.5 and 11.5%.
Sorry but I don't have your boiler specification to hand - but it will be cheaper to use than electric radiators!

c02 is 11.9

It sounds like its within its combustion parameters, and running cleanly and efficiently.....11.9 CO2 is fairly high but I'm not saying its incorrect as I don't know what its supposed to be. Your engineer presumably used a flue gas analyser to adjust things.

It sounds like its within its combustion parameters, and running cleanly and efficiently.....11.9 CO2 is fairly high but I'm not saying its incorrect as I don't know what its supposed to be. Your engineer presumably used a flue gas analyser to adjust things.

John

Thanks for all your help and explanations - an example of how a forum can be invaluable to "ordinary folk"

That boiler (44Kw will burn approx 4 litres per hour, whilst it is firing, obviously the burner will start and stop at the dictates of the controls ;)

The volume of oil specified on an oil nozzle is the amount passed at 1000psi. If you are running at a pressure higher then that, it will use more. Look at the Danfoss web site for details of the rates for different pressures.

Kerosene is good for approx 10Kw/Litre so assuming the OP's statement of 44Kw approx 4 litres/hr is good! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back