cost of tyres

I

imamartian

how much are tyres these days?

full set for a zafira, what can i expect to pay? top and bottom price?

Sponsored Links
what size tyre
Is it the GSI or standard
Best bet is phone around and play suppliers against each other

not sure... it'd mean going out in the cold and wet. But what does your average budget tyre cost? and mid range, and top of the drawer michelin (or whatever the best make is)

Sponsored Links
do take into consideration, you get what you pay for with tyres. dont expect too much from budgets.

i use www.mytyres.co.uk found them to be about half the price of the tyres i was putting on from kwik fit... I picked the Star performers xl and they have been great value for money..

do take into consideration, you get what you pay for with tyres. dont expect too much from budgets.

why ? stay away from remoulds BUT why pay for a tyre out of the same factory but £150 each ?

because the rubber compound is different between tyres. compare a michelin against something budget like camac. you're getting a hell of a better tyre with the michelin. the michelin will be a lot better ride, as the compound is softer. the budgets are harder and dont hold the road as well.

...I though the only real difference between the budget tyres and the well known brands, is that the well known brands put more money into the design and development of the tread itself....
If this was true, independent European tyre tests (as published in "Which?") would not show such difference in the test factors:

Dry braking
Dry handling
Wet braking
Wet grip straight
Wet grip bend
Wet handling
Noise
Rolling resistance
Wear
Eco rating

they say "All the tyres we’ve looked at pass the statutory minimum safety tests, but our Best Buys offer class-leading capabilities and a good balance between essentials, like dry and wet grip, and desirable characteristics, like quietness and wear rate.

Those that aren't up the mark won't achieve Best Buy status and some will even be Don't Buys. For example, in our 2008 test of 195/65 R15V tyres, the tyre with the worst wet grip travelled 20m more before coming to a halt than the best tyre in the wet braking test - that's why it's a Don't Buy"

The steering and suspension of your car may have been designed with a particular tyre in mind.

Some years back, we used a fleet of vehicles fitted with cheaper tyres against the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer. The tyres were the right size, construction and rating, but cheaper, so the buyer could show his boss he had saved a few bob.

The whole fleet used to scrub out these cheap tyres in about half the time the standard tyres lasted.

Sponsored Links
Back