Cost query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was hoping someone could give me an idea of the cost for the following full rewire to a 5 bedroom, 2800 sq ft house:

- At least 3/4 x dbl sockets per room - PVC sockets and switches throughout
- CAT 5 point in 9 rooms
- TV aerial install into 6 rooms
- HDMI cable point in 1 room (brought to two locations)
- 4 rooms with wall mounted TV locations
- Installation of all smoke detectors in all downstairs room (4) and 3 in hallway
- Installation of wireless alarm system
- Wiring of boiler
- Brand new kitchen install including 7 x dbl spots, 3 x ceiling speakers, all appliance socket installations (Micro, oven, gas hob, dishwash, tumble, washing machine) + 6x DBl wall sockets and 2 x island unit stainless dbl socket.
- Power to Island unit & fan
- 3 x external lights + PIR for future requirements
- 1 x main bathroom with 6 spots (good quality di-cast) and 1 x shower room with 3 spots + in line fans.

Other points to note are that there is the requirement for dimmers in 3 of the living rooms and 3 way switch in the hallway & kitchen. The walls will be tracked by the builder and made good by him & there is to be no allowance for the fitting of proper ceiling lights in the rooms as they are not purchased yet. Only light fittings to be taken for are the 14 good quality spots.

I appreciate this is a lot of detail but generally the comments come back with "need more detail" but was keen to get an idea of likely cost. If you can help out I would appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Here's a novel idea - try contacting 3 electricians and get them to come over and quote and then decide which price/electrician you prefer ?

£50 per point, around 98 and counting, and £500 for Consumer Unit (s) - Total £5,400.
Add 20% for contingency (when you or someone else changes their mind) ;)
Total ballpark figure £6500.

Sponsored Links
I hate it when people just use you for quotes (I mean customers inviting me to their premises not you for asking on this forum) .

But the best way to do is get as many quotes as you can.
Disregard both the highest and lowest.
Take an "average" of the rest.
Look first at at all those within +/_ 10% of that average and go for the one of those that you have most confidence in .

Top of my head I woulda said circa £6K

Apologies for using the word "average" it is probably the most dangerous word in the universe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back