Rewiring quote, Please help - Reasonable ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

This is my first post so please be gentle. I looking to rewire my house in birmingham. The best quote i have had is listed below, can someone kindly give me some indication if it is reasonable and any other help full pointers.

Electrical Work £ 3100.00 labour only
Material £ 1120.00
Any plastering required is not included

Thanking you for your time and assistance.

Anil

your title has been edited, please read the forum rules.
Installation of-
New split load consumer unit,

New main meter tails, earth conductor and earth bonding conductors

1 x Downstairs ring circuit to provide power for 12 (identified as new) twin socket outlets

1 x Upstairs ring circuit to provide power for 12 (identified as new) twin socket outlets

1 x radial circuit for 2 sockets within garage

Price total – £1000.00
Materials- inc chrome effect sockets to new and existing outlets £500.00

Lighting circuit requirements-
Install-
2 x wall lights and twin dimmer switch in lounge
2 x wall lights and twin dimmer switch in dinning room
6 x fire rated spot lights in kitchen
3 x fluorescent lights in sidewalk
6 x shower rated spot lights in bathroom
3 x lights in loft
Reposition-
2way switch in hall
2way switch on landing
Office light
Price total – £600.00
Materials (not inc selected wall and ceiling lights) £170.00

Security alarm
Change existing panel, remove door magnet and install 1 x PIR in hallway, 1 x PIR in sidewalk, service system.
Price total - £200.00
Materials – £100.00

TV outlets
Terrestrial TV distribution will be provided to twin outlets within lounge, dinning room, bedrooms and office.
Standard PVC outlets will be used
Price total - £300.00
Materials – £150.00

Telephone distribution
Outlets and cable will be installed within bedrooms, office, dinning room, lounge and hallway
Please note- final connection to a master socket may need to be completed by your service provider Ie a secondary
socket may need to be installed to accommodate the extra points.
Price Total - £250.00
Materials - £80.00

Additional
All existing surface mount units and cable runs to be sunken in to a flush finish where practicably possible.
Boiler supply circuit will be installed
2 x spurs for fire connections in lounge and dinning rooms
Replacement of light fittings and switches.
Price total - £750.00
Materials (to include chrome/satin effect switches)– £120.00

Please note- only standard PVC lighting pendants are quoted for and any special unit will need to
be supplied by yourself, this also includes wall lights.

Prior to work commencing a periodic inspection and test procedure will be performed in order to check the safe
use of all circuits prior to any alterations, this will carry an additional charge of £100

An NICEIC (national inspection council for electrical installation contractors) certificate will be supplied upon
completion of any 230v fixed wiring together with Part P building control compliance certificate and insurance
backed NICEIC warrantee.

Sponsored Links
You are aware that that quote is not for a full rewire?

Prior to work commencing a periodic inspection and test procedure will be performed in order to check the safe
use of all circuits prior to any alterations, this will carry an additional charge of £100

Sorry my mistake, i should have said Upgrade not complete rewire.

Two quotes : the other was £ 7576.00

Thanks for your replay

Sponsored Links
I would get a few more if I were you. I think you should consider splitting the quotes into separate areas ie estimate for the electrics from a sparks, alarms from alarm installers & tv distribution from areial installers.

I am not sure about the price but i am a bit concerned about the new configuration:
How many ways is the new CU?
What happened to your kitchen circuits (cooker, hob , hood, etc.)
Although the split load units are ok in point of view of the regulations I do not use split load units, I use RCBO's. They are a bit more expensive but they are more practical and save you a lot of pain in the long run.

You have to make sure that the certificates are provided to you, the NICEIC is like any other competent person scheme, there are about 6 bodies like NICEIC: NAPIT, ELECSA, BS, ECA etc. don't be fulled by this name check the quality of the work by calling previous customers (make sure that they are not family members of the contracor... ;) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back