Cost to replace Astra H rear trailing arm bushes ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone recently (2021) had new rear trailing arm bushes supplied and fitted to a 2008 Astra H 1.6 SXI (5 door); if so, what did it cost ?

At the Dealership or elsewhere but not DIY.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yeah, I did search a few dedicated Astra forums but although it’s a common repair, there isn't a lot of recents post, I guess due to age of vehicle.
What I did find, were either diagnosis and symptoms of such an issues or DIY How To guides.

I couldn’t remember my user name or password to the Astra forums so thought I’d try my luck on here when I discovered the Car Repair section.

AFAIK, replacement of trailing arm bushes are a fairly easy diy job. Literally one nut and bolt, drop the arm, push out old bush, push in new bush and bolt it back up. I’m sure I’ve done it before but it was a while ago.

Sponsored Links
Although it's diy I did a pair for mate on his 55 plate zafira last week, the bushes were £26 each from our local motor factor, it took a couple hours whilst talking to the owner so I'd expect no more than 3 hours labour at a garage

Not a difficult job by any stretch of the imagination but you will require a puller kit.

AFAIK, replacement of trailing arm bushes are a fairly easy diy job. Literally one nut and bolt, drop the arm, push out old bush, push in new bush and bolt it back up. I’m sure I’ve done it before but it was a while ago.

No... on Astra H, rear axle needs dropping.

Once vehicle is off the ground & wheels removed, 6 bolts hold axle in place, 3 either side.

Also, bottom damper bolt on either side needs removing so springs can be taken out.

Removal of each bolt which pass through the bushes, bolts which are inserted in such a manner, they can only be extracted once the axle has been dropped

Also, it’s recommended a bush removal and insertion tool is needed.

You don't need to remove the axle you just lower and do one side at a time

I never said the axle need to be removed, I said it has to be dropped.

Meaning, whilst the axle is supported from beneath and lowered to gain access to the bushes, it’s still actually attached by the dampers on either side and all the brake lines etc remain in place.

I would have thought, dropping one side of the axle at a time, whilst the other side remains affixed, would risk bending or twisting the axle.

Have you thought about taking it to Kwik Fit?

Andy

No, I thought a couple of forum members on here, who may have actually and recently paid to have such a repair carried out to said vehicle, would share what it cost on here.

Last edited:
No... no problem with handbrake or anything else.... just thought a few members on here may have recently had such a repair carried out.

I’m more than capable of carrying out the repair myself, just don’t won’t to and was attempting to weigh up the potential cost without having to phone around for quotes.

Wouldn't have been less time consuming to phone a garage rather than type all of this?
If you know how to do the work, you know how long it takes, so multiply the number of hours labour by £50/60 for a backstreet garage and £100/120 for a singing and dancing garage.

Yeah, in hindsight it would have been less time consuming to phone for quotes but I never expected such a response from Andy and I’m not going to be bullied into submission just because he/she doesn’t approve of my question.

However, although I know how to do the work, that doesn’t necessarily mean I know how long it would take; also, I don’t normally use garages, so I had no idea of what it would cost, hence my question but thanks for your reply.
£50/60 per hour backstreet garage and £100/120 per hour for singing and dancing garages.

Sponsored Links
Back