Cost to replace fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might be a bit 'how long is a bit of string', but I'm guessing someone can give me at least ball-park estimates.

I'm looking at buying a house which has quite a bit of fencing (it has 5 different boundaries). Not all the fencing is in top condition - some of it's going to need replacing soon, and it'll probably be an ongoing job.

So - can anyone give me even a ball-park estimate what the cost of replacing fencing is, per panel - including materials and labour? What about if some of the posts are OK, how much would that reduce it by? Or is it better to always replace posts at the same time anyway (they're wood)? I'm looking at standard 6x6ft panels, horizontals. It's in the south of England, near Southampton.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Panels around £15-£18, posts £10 to £15.

Only you can decide if the posts are worth reusing, by seeing how sturdy they are and checking the bottom for rot. Replacing only a panel is quite easy, but a lot more work is added if you have to replace a post.

Thanks - so it sounds like a quote of just over £50 per panel, including panels, posts, gravel boards, *and labour*, isn't too far out.

Sponsored Links
Millwright is right with costs, plus about £10 for a gravel board.

The first panel always appears more expensive as you need two posts, after that its one more post and gravel board for subsequent panels.

Builders yards tend to be cheaper than the DIY stores for the posts and gravel boards.

Labour will probably be in the region of another £50 per panel, cheaper for long runs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back