Replacing fence panels..Any tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We need to replace 5 6x6ft fence panels soon.They will be going into concrete posts,and this is where the prob for me lies,as,how do you get them in? Is it a case of lifting them up and slotting them in or has anyone got any tips to make it easier.
We managed to replace one panel as there was one concrete posts and one wooden so relatively easy, but the thought of having to lift the panels 7ft in the air is daunting....

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Although the panels are not very heavy, you need (at least) two people with stepladders to get them straight enough to slide in. I have done it on my own and it is quite difficult.

If there was any wind, there would be a substantial risk of the workers being pushed off their ladders. Probably best to have them both on the windward side, and ready to let go of the panel if the wind catches it.

Ok
Well im sure that my mum has got 2 lots of wooden step ladders from way back when so i can borrow them, have got a scaffold plank so maybe use that between the ladders,maybe not. I was thinking of attaching extra bits of wood to the panels so lifting it might be easier. I suppose its going to be a case of "see how it goes".
Thanks

p.s. You can get concrete gravel boards, they go against the ground so the wooden panel is away from the damp, and does not rot (much). You can paint both the gravel boards and the concrete posts with dark brown masonry paint to make them blend in with the wooden fence, I think it looks quite attractive. It is easier to paint the posts while the panels are out, and the gravel boards before fitting.

12" gravel boards are very heavy but 6" ones are not too bad.

Here are some I did earlier:

Fence02.jpg

POL_0108.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nice...I didnt realise you could paint the posts to.Will definately be doing that,looks so much better.
Already have the concrete 12" gravel boards in place,def need them as now the fence at the back is falling down i can see that the neighbours at the back of us tend to use that bit of the garden to dump there rubbish..grrr..

If your lucky you can slot one end in the post, then using a spade like a shoe horn on the other end and a little gentle perswaysion with a hammer the panel should pop into the slot.

i find a couple of gorilla bars work quite well as you can work your way up the panel with them, youve got to be a little bit lucky though!

neon said:
i can see that the neighbours at the back of us tend to use that bit of the garden to dump there rubbish..grrr..

I didnt think you live in Luton :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back