Ideas to help lift fencing panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any tips on how to lift fence panels into the slots on concrete posts. I am concerned that I am too much of a weakling to lift them up. Ive looked at scaffolding towers and lifts but am none the wiser Thanks

Sponsored Links
One man on each side, up steps, plus one weedy person on the ground to steady it as it slides down.

couple of spades or crowbars, lift the panel up half way, put one end in a slot and should be enough give to prise the other side in. lot easier than lifting it 6 feet in the air. i take it they are old posts?

so mouch easier than timber ones John!! ;)

i use step ladders as an extra man.

2 x 6 run ladders and a 3 step ladder

wedge ladder up against post but about a foot and half lower from the top of the post. balance fence panel on here, use the foot and a half extra fence post above step ladder to rest the panel against while you manoeuver it into position.

use another step ladder on the other post make sure both ladders are in place before you start.

Insert fence panel on un rested side and let it drop to first step of the ladder thats free or as far as you can manover it to go down.

once that end is in you will need to stay holding the panel and get on a small step ladder your self close to the 1st supporting ladder and place that corner in post.

Let it drop to ladder run and kick ladder away if fence drops freely.

fence panels are not heavy ( if its the flimsy feather edge ones) they are just awkward, once having even a small part of the sides secure your home and dry.

just bring each corner down a bit at a time.
unless your lucky and it just slides down.

(that sounds so complicated but it works.)

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
don't try it on a windy day!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

John i wrote that originally and deleted it, thought it sounded a bit commonsense so condescending didnt want me arse kicked. (the things you get away with when your part of the furniture ;) .)

Odd Job said:
(the things you get away with when your part of the furniture ;) .)

With 9000 posts in less than 18 months, he's part of the structure ;)

John, do you ever leave the house?????!!!!!! If on average a post takes 1 minute of your time, then you've spent almost a solid week* of your life answering questions on here! :eek:

*without poo breaks :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back