Fence panel shrunk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a wooden fence which is 2metres high, concrete posts with concrete bargeboards. It has vertical panels fixed to two horizontal bars which are on the neighbour's side (I was paying so wanted my side to look nice!). One of the panels has shrunk at the top right hand so that it no longer connects with the concrete post. I am concerned as it takes a battering with wind coming in from the sea. Would I be able to repair by screwing some wood into the top part of the fence and ensuring it slotted into the concrete post or would this cause problems? I am female so do not have the strength of a male to lift and shift the thing.

Sponsored Links
Timber wedge would work, ultimately it might shrink or rot though.

Join it to the next fence on both sides for a not overly attractive but functional fix. The second picture in this link will save me a thousand words.

http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=134859266

A heavy duty version of this stuff is available and will last longer, a pain to cut though, hacksaw or tin snips would be useful.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38619/Building/Builders-Metalwork/Builders-Band-20mm-x-10m

You may have a local hardware store that would sell you some cut lengths.

Use screws not nails.

cut a length of timber teh thickness of the gap and tap it down the gap between the post and the panel. then nail or screw through the end batten of the panel into teh new bit of wood.

Dont you just love concrete post systems

Sponsored Links
wood will not shrink along the grain more than 2mm
it will however shrink by 5 to 7% accross the grain about 3 or 4mm in a fence panel
other cause off "gaps" are caused by fence panels curving or posts moving sideway
somtimes you can spread the problem from the 2 panels either side by taking a wedge[wooden clother peg dismantled]and knocking in untill its 4mm wide this can ease the posts sideways but not always ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back