Concrete posts and panel fencing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to install a panel fence using concrete posts. I have never used concrete posts before, only timber and Godfathers. The panels will be 1.8mts with a 200mm gravel board.

My question is, is it entirely feasible that the fence can be erected in such a way that the panels can be lifted out of the slots of the posts if it becomes necessary in the future ? I will set the posts in concrete but it appears to me that the final positioning is ultra-critical. I should add that I have my own 3CX so the lifting part is easy.

Can anyone tell me what sort of clearances we have between the posts and panels.

Thanks for any help and advice that anyone can give.

Sponsored Links
If you're using gravel boards that will sort out the spacings for you. Keep all the posts plumb and the panels will lift out easily when you need to. When I do a fence I will set the first post in the ground then fit board and panel to it and then the next post and so on propping it with timber to keep it correctly positioned until everything has set .

cant help with clearance, but i cant say i have even seen a fence panel that hasnt been able to slide out, and im pretty sure the concrete should slide out too. in fact isnt the idea you put the posts in, then slide all the panels in afterwards.

If i were you i would just google fence panel measurements, i would think there is enough info out there

it is usual to set one post, hold up the panel, set the second post so it fits tightly to the panel, repeat. It is possible to do all the posts first, for example if you are worried that strong wind will move them before concrete is set, but you have to be very accurate.

Mine slide in and out, but it is quite difficult. You would have to set the posts so that they are not a very tight fit, e.g. by using cardboard spacers, which will rot away afterwards.

btw you can, if you want, treat the concrete posts and gravel boards with masonry paint, to help them blend ion with the timber. It will also prolong the life of the posts by shedding water and resultant frost, especially on the tops. It is easier to paint them before assembling the fence. You can touch up any scratches afterwards.

View media item 975

Sponsored Links
Hey guys, that's all marvellous advice. Thanks to all of you. I had actually thought of making a lightweight template the same width of a panel but say only 0.5m high so that I could use that to space my posts each time.

With regard to disguising the posts I had thought about fixing timber to them which is wider that the post. I could then place a batten between that timber and the panel to hide the bit that still shows if you looked hard enough for it. Then I could stain it the same as the panel.

One thing that does bother me slightly. I am going to do this in 1.8m panels with a 200mm gravel board. With a 2.36 or a 2.4 post that only leaves 360 or 400mm in the ground. I know I am going to set the posts in concrete as well but it doesn't seem very deep to me. Are you all happy with that depth ?

Thanks again.

O.K. What about plan B ? I do need to be able to take these panels down at some time in the future and put them back up again so would this be a good idea.

Suppose I use timber for the posts but bolt them to a 1.2m Godfather, 600 in the ground, 600 out and the below ground bit concreted in.

Then I screw a batten at the back of the post on the side facing the panel. Then screw another batten at the front of the post at the side, effectively making the groove for the panel That way I can either lift the panel out or take the front batten off and the panel will come out frontways.

Any good ?

Thanks for any advice & help given.

I've had success like that.

In this coastal area I put the concrete plug wedge-shaped, with a wider face on the leeward side. You would have thought 600mm buried would be enough, but here, it isn't. Where I've used concrete posts and gravel boards, the extra weight and rigidity (the gravel board is sunk into the ground) seems to help. But I've had fence panels blow out and fly away.

With your idea of hiding the fence post behind a timber screen as you describe above, you could still use a 2.4m post but put 700 in the ground. (doesn't have to be 700 but using it as a guide...)

The post won't be level with the top of the pannel, but it won't need to be as you won't see the post, this may also make lifting them out easier...

Your post will be secure, as will the gravel board, and your pannel will have 1.5m worth of post to hold it in.

With your idea of hiding the fence post behind a timber screen as you describe above, you could still use a 2.4m post but put 700 in the ground. (doesn't have to be 700 but using it as a guide...)

The post won't be level with the top of the pannel, but it won't need to be as you won't see the post, this may also make lifting them out easier...

Your post will be secure, as will the gravel board, and your pannel will have 1.5m worth of post to hold it in.

Another good idea. Thanks Andy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back