Securing fence panels so they cant be lifted !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has just had a new fence put in, concrete posts, gravel boards etc.
And it seems to me that they have made good job of it.
I caught my neighbour lifting up the fence panel the other day and when I went out after him he said he was just getting a ball his children had knocked over !
How can I secure the panels so he cant lift them out, without it looking too horrible ?.
kind regards and thanks in advance......Ted

Sponsored Links
simple answer you cant touch or attach anything to the fence in the same way he cant trespass on your land
diplomacy or fence posts and trellice or another form off barrier not attached to his fence

I staple some wire along the rails, just go straight across the post onto the next panel.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, two good ideas there.
big-all, I hear what you are saying but I am going to put something there to stop him.
To be honest the fence is probably too high anyway.
Ted

a 2ft6 or 3ft trellis would do as either he lifts the panel for his kids to walk through or he props it up to climb through

you could also try pouring water down between post and fence as wet wood will be tighter as it expands

Thanks big-all,
Just out of interest I have measured the fence and it is 7ft high including the gravel board !
Thanks again......Ted

a bit on the high side 2m or 6ft 6/34 max without planning
this is above the natural ground level
and i meant trellis at ground level so he would be confronted by it when he looks through

another idea is a screw at an angle small pilot hole[3mm] 4mm screw[or no8]
the screw tightened untill the point tries to penatrait the post in the slot
just make sure the screw cant be seen to avoid any hassle then you can blame the damp

2 screws left and right would probably stop it

or i have just thought off a legal way providing the panel is 12mm on your land

a 2x2" stake in the ground sticking up about 2.5" above the bottom rail off the fence panel take say a bit off 2x1" [21x44mm] place the post 24mm from the face off the off the panel with 2x1"timber attached about 5mm above the bottom rail
this will give you clearance of 3-5mm so not touching his property but stopping it lifting

Put some gravel/pea shingle between the panel and the post. It wont be going anywhere. As your neighbour tries to lift the panel, the gravel digs in and cant be lifted.

Andy

A big angry rottweiler on your side of the fence should suffice!

Ted, have you tried asking your neighbour not to enter your garden without asking you first? I know it seems bizare but some people don't realise that it is just not on to tresspass into someone's private garden. Explain he only needs to ask and you will return any balls, and explain you will carefully pop them over the fence if you find any.

If that fails then you cannot affix to or lean on his fence as he could get you prosecuted for it even though it seems harmless. If he is the sort of person to get upset by this then it could start a long and very stressful dispute which is not worth the effort. There may be genuine reasons why a panel might need to be lifted in the future so don't use any discrete fixings which could make it difficult. If they are found you could end up paying anyway.

Trellis or wires at ground level on your side between short posts is all you'd need. As mentioned by others he would then have to lift the entire panel out to get through which if they are seven feet tall will not be easy. Garden wire between posts at 12" and 18" high would be enough, would be almost invisible to you and would let you grow all sorts of plants along them.

An even better solution is to plant berberis along the fence line (but you will need a temporary barrier while they establish). They are beautiful shrubs, easy to keep compact, and very, very prickly. I use them to keep cats from coming through a gap at the end of my garden and they work perfectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back