New Fence Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , I need to replace my rotten wooden fence posts and have decided to replace them with concrete ones and gravel boards, I have a straight run of 8 fence panels starting against a brick wall and then 1 more panel at right angles on the other end returning against another brick wall.

First question is this- can I get a corner concrete post as opposed to the standard 'H' ones for a straight run ? or will I have to erect 2 in the corner.

Second question is this - do I put a concrete post up against the brick wall each end or do I fix a wooden post/baton down the wall and just attach the end wooden fence panels to this?.

Third question- where I come to the end of the run I will have a half panel to fit, what do I do with the gravel board to make it fit ?, whats the best way to cut one in half for example?, also on the 2 end panels what do I do with the gravel board if I'm fixing the end to a baton on the wall as it would have nothing to fix to?

Lastly , any tips to stop someone lifting a fence panel out for security measures ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
1, yes
2, Easier & cheaper using a baton
3, Cut with an angle grinder, you can hire one. use 2 batons & put the gravel board between
4, Use wooden wedges or screws

2. Use a wood wall plate 3inch x 2 inch and fix to the wall dont bother digging it into the ground, to fix the gravel board get one that has a horizontal slot at each end, then coach bolt the L shaped metal cleat to the wall plate, Fix gravel board to cleat with a blank dome headed nut With nylok nut, other end of board sits in post slot.

4. Dig in & concrete a close board wood back peg (2inch x 2inch x 12inch)
Central to the pannel or one each end, then nail through from oposite side of pnnel into back peg to stop pannel being lifted out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back