COST

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several rooms each 4m X 4m X 2.8 M to be skimmed in Sheffiled ,some boards some existing finish.Probably a day per room for spread and labourer-materials (multi-finish provided by self)

Whats a fair price for 48 m sqr per room(4 rooms in all)?

Sponsored Links
It would really depend on the area you live, as prices can vary.
Also on site visit to assess what the job entails.
But if your supplying all the materials, multi-finish and PVA.
You could be looking at something between £10-12.50 a sq metre.
So a ball park figure would be something like £500 per room.

Sponsored Links
i was thinking about 300 mabey 350 at apush per room but as prentice says without seeing it there are many different variables at play

48m2 a room? on a straight forward skim ? i would do that for £200 with no lab and it would be easy money
So you would be charging at a rate of about £4.15 per sqm.
Is this a one or two coat application?
i dont charge by the m2 unless im onsite and the going rate for site work is between £3-£4,
when im doing domestic i dont go round with my laser and measure how many m2 there are i charge by the day, £200 would be ample for me after the tax im left with £160 for a days graft which im more than happy with
tbh spreads down this way are 2 a penny and you can get it done cheaper
and yes it would be a 2 coat application i never 1 coat that would be cheating

What's this 'tax' you are talking about? I've heard a bit about it. :p

i dont charge by the m2 unless im onsite and the going rate for site work is between £3-£4,
i charge by the day, £200 would be ample for me after the tax im left with £160 for a days graft which im more than happy with
Fair enough then, must be a lot of competition for work.
You are well cheap.
I can get anything between £10-15 a metre. It normally works out better for me, as the customers I deal with don't seem to like to pay day rate.
Most think I'm going to slow it down!

i charge by the day, £200 would be ample for me after the tax im left with £160 for a days graft which im more than happy with
You are well cheap.
I can get anything between £10-15 a metre. It normally works out better for me, as the customers I deal with don't seem to like to pay day rate.
Most think i'm going to slow it down!
i would love to earn between £10-£15 a metre but its just not possible down here if i tried to charge that i would not get any work at all, i remember quoting an old lady £380 for 3-4 days work i came in cheap because i wanted the work it could easily have been a quote for £700 or so, some young nipper came and done it all for £200 and there was a hell of a lot work there for that kind of money, thats what im competing with every other bloke here is a spread to give you an example i live in a road 6 houses long there is a spread opposite me and another 2 spreads that live in the flats at either end of the road and there are builders behind me that can spread, i can throw a stone on 4 other spreads from my doorstep, we have a college that chucks out a couple of hundred a year "spreads or wanna be spreads" that are only to willing to come in with a cheap price so they can get some experience ,
it may be all irrelevant to me now as the last job i had gave me tennis elbow and im not sure how long its going to last ive been reading that it could take a year to heal :(

..and there's no guarantee it won't come back. :cry:

You are well cheap.
i would love to earn between £10-£15 a metre but its just not possible down here if i tried to charge that i would not get any work at all, i remember quoting an old lady £380 for 3-4 days work i came in cheap because i wanted the work it could easily have been a quote for £700 or so, some young nipper came and done it all for £200 and there was a hell of a lot work there for that kind of money, thats what im competing with every other bloke here is a spread to give you an example i live in a road 6 houses long there is a spread opposite me and another 2 spreads that live in the flats at either end of the road and there are builders behind me that can spread, i can throw a stone on 4 other spreads from my doorstep, we have a college that chucks out a couple of hundred a year "spreads or wanna be spreads" that are only to willing to come in with a cheap price so they can get some experience ,
it may be all irrelevant to me now as the last job i had gave me tennis elbow and im not sure how long its going to last ive been reading that it could take a year to heal :(

I hope the elbow problem sorts itself out for ya Steve. ;)

You are well cheap.

Steve - have a look at spraying render, no strain on the elbow compared to hawk and trowel or skimming . Three man gang ideal - lad putting the bags in, a lad spraying and you ruling off/spatching. You H frame and the lads can help on the scratch pads as long as you keep an eye on them til they are good at it.

When I was on the monocouche spraying full time, the two lads used to rub it up with the pads and brush down while I was beading up the next day's hit.

Worth a look into to get the work going.

Also everyone who needs it GET INCOME PROTECTION . I'd have lost my house without it after an accident. PM me if you want advice on this - not financial advice, but from my experience.

Apologies to OP for hijack, will delete and repost if you want.

stevethespreader, sorry to hear about the tennis elbow. I have had it and it can stick around for sometime, even had injections that sorted it out for awhile but it returned then went away again, hopefully for good.
Sounds like there is a lot of competition in your area for spreads, nowhere near as many where I live, but I am quite fortunate as plastering is not my main trade, even though I learn't it as a wee boy, that and dry lining/tape jointing it was my dad that got me in to it.
I mainly do electrical installs but get a lot of plastering off the back of it and the prices are quite good. It's a dog eat dog world sometimes and you make the best of what you can and if that means dipping the prices a little, so be it.
But good luck with the elbow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back