Costly fix hasn't worked. Where do I stand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year my roof was showing odd signs of water ingress. After much debate here and with various roofers a solution was put in place, which cost me approx £2k. The nature of the problem was such that it only really showed itself when the weather went from warm to cold and when there were high winds. Because of this the fix looked like it had worked.

Now that the weather has changed and I've been up the loft, the wet bits are back, same places and after same kind of weather.

Question is, where do I stand in terms of the "fix" that was done and trying to rectify the issue again? Do I just have to suck it up or should the roofer step up make some sort of effort to rectify?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
So, was it the correct fix done incorrectly, or an incorrect fix correctly done?

No idea how we'd know. The problem itself was complicated but he assured us he had seen it before and this would fix it.

Can you tell us what the problem was and what was done to fix it .

The problem with carrying out expensive repairs can be that the contractor has carried out the work that he feels needed to be done in a correct manner , but he can not be 100 % sure that it will solve all problems , and he can not give any warrenty on any work he has not done .

Sponsored Links
The problem itself was complicated but he assured us he had seen it before and this would fix it

I suspect the problem will be your word against his as to an interpretation of the situation. I assume you didn't get his assurance in writing, in which case it would be your word against his as to promising a fix, rather than him now saying that it would only get fixed by a process of elimination.

Have you spoken to him about the problem returning.

Spoken to the roofer and he seems genuinely disappointed that it didn't work. He is coming over next week to discuss.

No written assurances but he's a well established and respected guy so hopefully there won't be any issues. I was more interested in whether or not I had any actual right in terms of expectation and cost of any extra work. Don't want to push for something that I shouldn't be getting but at the same time don't want to pay again for something I shouldn't have to.

You'll need to wait and see what he suggest, and if he wants any more money, you need to quietly point out that he said the fix would work, so shouldn't have to pay for any more work. He did say that he had seen the problem before, and he could fix it, so although you don't have anything in writing, you do have an expectation of the job being finished, even if he has to do more work, under the original price.

If his work is defective (parts or labour) then you would expect him to remedy, but if the problem was more extensive than first thought, then this may be related. You wont know, so best option is to haggle mates rates and be grateful that he's able and willing to deal with it so quickly.

He has been round and we have agreed to monitor it until it happens again at which point he will come straight out and investigate so we can see if it is still the original condensation issue or a leak at the ridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back