Costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
i am moving in with my girlfriend soon and would like some advice on the following.
Cost of a single storey extension 10x3M @, with the removal of a garage which is in place now.
Cost of removing and replacing the garage and then converting into a room.
Cost of a loft conversion.

We are on a bit of a tight budget and because of this i am thinking of using tradesmen at different stages of build (as opposed to using a company). Are the savings worth this option?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cost of a single storey extension 10x3M @, with the removal of a garage which is in place now.
£28,000.+
Cost of removing and replacing the garage and then converting into a room.
A garage conversion costs upwards of £5000. What do you mean by 'cost of removing and replacing the garage' - i.e. specifically.
Cost of a loft conversion.
Upwards of £12,000.

Agree with Nosall prices...cept maybe the loft. more like 20k.. if you mean a break down of cost on the removal of garage to make way for the extension I'm sure that would almost be a freebie in the cost of the extension, much cheaper to convert to a room (usually) than remove and rebuild.

Agree with Nosall prices...cept maybe the loft. more like 20k.

Age of the building as well as specification and size has a bearing and i would have to agree, £20k is a good average price. It is possible to convert "a certain loft" for £12k, this i know, but it is only a starting guide figure.

Sponsored Links
I've just completed my loft at home and if I never do another one, (unless its for silly money :D ) it will be too soon! One word.... nightmare.

WOW, thanks for the quick replies.
The Garage which is in place now looks like gerry build, i have no doubt it will have to come down. I have no idea what foundation specs were used.
We already had planning permission for a two storey extension (which was passed) but due to unforseen circumstances we had to shelve (out of date now anyway).
I was hoping, due to the downturn in the building trade, to project manage myself and use 'solo' tradesmen, so saving some cash.

I've just completed my loft at home and if I never do another one, (unless its for silly money :D ) it will be too soon! One word.... nightmare.

I always advise my customers that a loft conversion should be the very last resort.

I never encourage them. However, it can be useful space for people with no alternative and a fondness for climbing stairs! :LOL:

Deffo save money BUT you then take on the responsibility, i.e. say a brickie runs up to a proplem he might just say 'not my job' and I always say to a client, if I turn up for work and I cant (work) because the project manager has mucked up and its not ready, I still want my days money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back