Floating a floor on beam and block?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Any particular cons of a floating floor on top of beam and block as opposed to screed?

Screed will mean cost of another trade coming in but more-so would like to do as much as poss myself.

I'm well pleased with the floating floor I just put in my garage conversion but for the new single storey extension also going on am wondering if possible unevenness of the B&B plus also lack of air-tightness / stability that screed otherwise gives.

Ta

Sponsored Links
Concrete beams are pre stressed - which means they have a camber, yes it flattens out once loaded with blocks, but I don’t think they go dead flat.

A screeded floor allows the occupants to choose just about any floor décor of their choosing. A floating floor not so versatile in that respect.

A screeded floor allows the occupants to choose just about any floor décor of their choosing. A floating floor not so versatile in that respect.
The room flows in to an existing room / hallway which is all laminate and we want the same all throughout so not too concerned from that point - but thanks for the heads up.

Sponsored Links
Concrete beams are pre stressed - which means they have a camber, yes it flattens out once loaded with blocks, but I don’t think they go dead flat.
Yep they are sat on my drive at the moment and have an obvious curve but will see what they are like when down and loaded up.

Well the blocks are all in and it is a lot more level than I expected - I've previously had beams protrude higher than the block face but this is all very even. There's a very slight camber of less than a cm over a 4.8 metre span so unless there's any other major points raised I think I'll go with floating the floor.

Well the blocks are all in and it is a lot more level than I expected - I've previously had beams protrude higher than the block face but this is all very even. There's a very slight camber of less than a cm over a 4.8 metre span so unless there's any other major points raised I think I'll go with floating the floor.
Don’t forget the cement slurry over the floor - it brushes into all the nooks and crannies and helps lock it all together

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back