Could decking boards be suitable for an outhouse floor instead of say OSB?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’d like to attempt to build an out house at the top of my garden. A glorified insulated shed basically. I built a nice shed and some canopies on my house so it’s a step up but confident I can do it.

But it will take me ages, as I’d do it on weekends.

I use OSB for the floor in my shed. But I’m reluctant to do that out my out house because I think it will be in the rain for a long period of time to finish walls and roof.

So I was thinking build a decking area first, because we can use that as a decking area until I start the job and while I build around it. It’ll be ok in the rain.

I’m assuming it’s fine to leave the boards in for the main outhouse? I could always OSB over the top when finished? Any long term issues like boards rotting or degrading as they’d be tricky to replace once the main building is up. The boards under the walls anyway.

for info I’m thinking of having ground screws installed to support the structure, the company that have quoted stated they’re suitable for garden buildings. They’re over the top for decking but means the decking has a nice secure base to take the weight if I get round to building the outhouse.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Treated deck boards will last as long as any other treated timber.

How will you deal with any rain running along the groves and staying in the grooves of level boards?

Are you saying decking is normally on a slope for the rain to run off? I didn’t realise and not considered it.

Would it be a huge problem considering it may not be exposed for years but only months. Maybe 6 months?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back