Slope of decking and foundation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having decking installed and the boards currently slope towards the house. The underneath of the decking is soil and there is no gutter alongside the house to funnel the water to the drain.

Is something I should bring up with the builder? It is early stages of the build. Only the supporting frame and 4 boards have been placed.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but the builder is due back later today, maybe tomorrow, and I'm hoping for a quick answer so I can discuss with him.

[Decking Area #1](https://i.imgur.com/SlT7N0l.jpg)

In the picture linked above you can see:

(A) Is resting on top of the paving stones and it appears that this is causing the slope towards the house. See D.
(B) If A was to drop to be flush with B, then the decking area would be level and the slope towards the house would be gone.
(C) This post, as with the other post, are not in concrete. They are about 2-3 inches into soil and are held again A with a single nail.
(D) This shows the direction of the slope towards the house.

You will also notice that the whole area rests on soil.

(This was incorrectly posted here and is now in the "Garden" section. I will delete this just as soon as I can find the Delete button)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Decking should be more or less level with only a slight fall of 1:100. Why is it sloping towards the house, there should be no need for that? Your builder need to either use different supporting joists or cut them down.

The gaps around any board deal with rainwater by letting it soak though. You dont need (or want) a gutter up against the house, but you should allow for the paving or ground below the deck to deal with any rain by letting it soak through or diverting it to a drain or open ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back