Could it be salts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all

Hoping for some help. I live in a Victorian 3 storey terrace. Our property is the last 3 storey before a bank of 2 storey. So we have a high exposed exterior wall

Last winter the wall became very wet - so we enlisted the support of roofers. We fixed the flashing on the chimney and we reprinted the exterior wall ( looked like it was in need)

As you can imagine - every time
Someone goes up its pricey due to the inaccessibility of the exterior wall

Anyway - we thought were all fixed but the wall is looking damp again. Patches pf damp across the chimney breast

So before I dip into the savings again, is it possible what's required is new plaster rather than more roof work? I read horror stories of folks spending a fortune on something that turns out to be leftover salt from a previous damp spell?

Your expertise is welcome!!!

L

Sponsored Links
photo would help. Show the shape and location of the mark.

you say it is the chimney. Is this chimney ventilated top and bottom? If not it will get condensation inside. Is there a gas fire?

Look in the loft. Can you see damp marks or water trickling? Is it rain related? Can you see daylight?

The chimney is no longer operational - I believe it is ventilated top and bottom as there are metal vents

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
This is the interior - damp occurring at bottom ( near rocking horse!) and top

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 160
Also - since everyone is so kind on here - would it be better to use my dehumidifier in this room or not? Don't want to make the problem worse

I can't see the damp patches. Can you move the horse and picture?

Is it emulsion paint on plaster?

does it show on the sides?

What is above and below this room?

The problem is they are barely visible - yellow rather than white

Better with spotlight maybe ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 144
And at the top

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 143
is it at the right-hand side?

Does the room below have a ventilated fireplace (there are probably three flues in there)

Am assuming this counts as ventilation - we have two on each floor

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 144
No working fireplaces - previous owner had removed them all

is it by the ceiling? You need to look in the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back