Could my LED bulbs be overheating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20200624_230601.jpg

I have this 5-bulb fitting. Recently switched to energiser 6W dimmable bulbs. Soon after some bulbs started flickering. Not constant, like a single brief flicker every 30s. Sometimes one bulb sometimes another, sometimes none. They don't flicker in sync and I already tested the switch.

I was sent some replacements. After just a few minutes one of them started to do the same thing.

I noticed when changing then over after they'd been on, the bases of the bulbs were really hot, like hot enough I couldn't hold it for more than a second.
Is it possible I have overheating issues?
My only other thought is the during has several, separate intermittent shorts. To me that sounds unlikely.

I had issues with LEDs in this room before. Could this style chandelier cause overheating and if so what can I do?

Sponsored Links
leds can get very very hot but should be designed to have enough heat sink or airflow to remove the heat

It is quite an old fitting. Could there be a fault on each outlet separately? I imagine the wiring is really simple but... Can they get dirty and become bad conductors maybe?

Been playing with this on and off for a while, just can't seem to make headway diagnosing the fault. Not had anything like as many issues in other rooms which is making be wonder if it could be the fitting, but not sure how to test this.

Are they connected to a Dimmer, with Upwards lamps, bases should not get excessively hot in an open topped fitting

Sponsored Links
It is quite an old fitting. Could there be a fault on each outlet separately? I imagine the wiring is really simple but... Can they get dirty and become bad conductors maybe?

Been playing with this on and off for a while, just can't seem to make headway diagnosing the fault. Not had anything like as many issues in other rooms which is making be wonder if it could be the fitting, but not sure how to test this.
how do they work in normal light fittings both dimmed and not and undimmable [normal off on switch]??

you need to isolate into set up fault [including specific combination ]bulb fault or batch fault

Could you perhaps translate that into my sort of English? :)

Kind Regards, John
compatibility between bulb and control equipment :D
faulty equipment but only in a specific combination :D
different batches working differently to other batches[may be faulty or just not work in your set up ]:confused::D
or i am talking complete and utter testicles as normal:rolleyes::D:D

compatibility between bulb and control equipment :D
faulty equipment but only in a specific combination :D
different batches working differently to other batches[may be faulty or just not work in your set up ]:confused::D
Thanks. That makes much more sense to me. I suppose I should of twigged it, but it was primarily your word "isolate" which threw me, given that the word has a fairly specific technical meaning in this forum :)

Kind Regards, John

Thanks. That makes much more sense to me. I suppose I should of twigged it, but it was primarily your word "isolate" which threw me, given that the word has a fairly specific technical meaning in this forum :)

Kind Regards, John
isolate in this instance to remove from the situation by trial and error to find the problem rather than doube pole isolation :D
dont worry its my brain it has a mind off its own and goes off on tangents:D
i try and be precise but not too technical to make it easy to read and understand but often turns into a "wtf":eek: getting worse the more i edit it to be clear o_O

Last edited:
isolate in this instance to remove from the situation by trial and error to find the problem rather than doube pole isolation :D
Yes, as I said, I understand and realise that now. It was just because I'm so used to seeing the word 'isolate' used in this forum with a technical meaning that when I tried to read the sentence, whilst subconsciously assuming that meaning of the word, it seemed to make no sense!

Kind Regards, John

I have an 8 bulb chandelier with Energiser 6W dimmable candle bulbs, and also a 5 bulb chandelier with same bulbs, not noted any problems either with heat or flicker, I have had problems with same switches in other rooms with G9 bulbs with flicker, and slight with GU10, and the flicker is same with every bulb in the fitting, but no with E14 Energiser 6W dimmable bulb and non dimmable bulbs.

I can see the problem, had same problem with G9 bulbs are not cheap, and they last a long time so getting spares to test becomes expensive and you then have to store bulbs, but E14 is common don't know what yours are, but can you test bulbs in friend, mother, sons or other persons house? That would seem cheap method to test if bulb or installation.

I guess I might need to set aside some time swapping things around then. We have similar fittings in at least 2 other rooms and some 3-bulb ones also. None of those have this issue.

I also started marking bulbs with a sharpie to know which ones were flickering.
I have already changed the switch and it made no difference.

I might start swapping bulbs in the same fitting. I noticed that the new one that started flickering was in exactly the same socket as the one that was doing it worst in the original batch.

Are there are any really easy things I can rule out on the fitting to make sure it's clean... compressed air, something to clean the conductors, etc? I'd kick myself if it was something that simple!

Maybe a nice job for the hot weather, it's cool in the house!

your wife won't appreciate, this

But note one light that is flickering. Remove one shade and refit light. run for a few days and see if it improves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back