Could my main water pipe freeze?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just saw other thread about freezing pipes, and it is something that I did worry about myself.
My mains water pipe runs under the suspended timber floor to where the kitchen was, before the extension. It is lagged all the way. The run must be around 10m before it connects to a copper pipe.

Now, never had a problem, but I have insulated all floors now, and the pipe is obviously on the cold side. If we had a cold winter, then my subfloor void should get very cold.

Just wondering, if it freezes, what options do I have, other than re-route the pipe along the side of the house and then in? At the moment, this would not be such a massive task, as the floor is up in the bathroom, and only chipboard down in the hallway (old kitchen) where it links to copper. But once that job is finished, it will involve ripping things out (although only cheap vinyl, and laminate that could be removed and replaced).

I am trying not to worry about it, and hoping global warmings means no more freezing cold winters in Essex ...

Sponsored Links
If you are worried, you could leave a tap very slightly open to enable the water to keep moving.

TBH, I can't recall hearing about domestic water supplies freezing. That said, I have seen combi boiler condensate pipes that have frozen.

Well, that is lucky, as my kitchen tap drips and I have not changed it yet as the cost of a new tap and fitting is more than the cost of water. I will leave it dripping, and tell my wife it is to stop pipes freezing in winter :)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back