overflow pipe from oil boiler - Can it freeze?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have about 8 feet of overflow pipe (21.5mm) running outside from the condensing oil boiler (which is positioned in utility room) to the drain. It is pinned to the outside walls low to the floor to accommodate decking that is to be built over it soon and someone has said that there is a risk of this pipe freezing over during the winter. They advised to change it to a thicker diameter or at worse lagg it.

I had no problems with it last winter but maybe i was just lucky. Can it freeze - will it freeze and if so how will that effect the boiler. Do I need to be doing as advised or is 21.5m adequate?

Sponsored Links
Yes it can freeze and its quite common on condensing lines, upgrade the 21.5mm to 32mm, you can get an adaptor to makle it easy from any plumbers merchant, it might also be worth insulating it.

wouldnt bother upgrading to 32mm that will still freeze,look into trace heating which is an electric heat cable that runs along the condensate and if temps drop it mildy heats the pipe preventing it from freezing

wouldnt bother upgrading to 32mm that will still freeze,look into trace heating which is an electric heat cable that runs along the condensate and if temps drop it mildy heats the pipe preventing it from freezing

Sounds like the ideal thing to do but also does not sound like its within my DIY capability and really cannot afford to outsource any more work at this time. Looking for a more simpler solution

Sponsored Links
Yes it can freeze and its quite common on condensing lines, upgrade the 21.5mm to 32mm, you can get an adaptor to makle it easy from any plumbers merchant, it might also be worth insulating it.

Sounds like I need to do this. Thanks. What would I insulate the 32mm with - not sure what insulation to use when exposed to the weather

consider running the pipe indoors and into a sink waste via a condensafe (cartridge thing that needs periodic replacement).

if it is in the heated envelope of the building then it won't freeze. if outside, armaflex secured with cable ties every 150mm will insulate it to an extent, you can box it in or tape it up to keep the elements off it.

besides, it should have been in 32mm in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back