oil boiler pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. The distributor/plumbers merchant here advises 12mm plastic coated copper for the piping from tank to boiler (it is normal here) to help against frost/freezing (we occassionally get -30deg). Any advise - should I stick with 10mm?

2. Should i bury the pipe with a heating cable to protect it also or just bury it in a larger diameter plastic pipe with insulation?

3. Is the whole freezing of oil (28 sec) over played I thought maybe 50deg it might freeze.

Any help would be appreciated..

Sponsored Links
Hmm, becoming a little disillusioned with this website forum - plenty of views but no one has any comments or ideas?
What's the point of the forum??

I am not sure if here in Estonia we have plastic pipes for oil - I will check.

Do you think a heating cable and insulation will also make a difference or you wouldn't recommend it?

If I bury the pipe I gues I need to be about 0.5m to stop any ground water freezing near the pipe but hen when it comes up through the ground at some point it wil hit the frost line and freezing point..

Sponsored Links
Hmm, becoming a little disillusioned with this website forum - plenty of views but no one has any comments or ideas?
What's the point of the forum??

Some of us don't have every day to sit and wait for less than patient souls to post questions. Many people may view, but not have knowledge relevant to every question.

The oil used in the UK is 28 sec (nearly aviation fuel). It won't freeze even at -60, I've tried it . With 28sec oil, 10mm is more than big enough.

Using plastic pipe is cheap. It has no other benefit. Using it above ground in the UK is illegal.

Not absolutely correct. According to the manufacturer's info I read the pipe can rise above ground up to the point of entry in the building, and ditto to the tank at the other end. I can't remember if mechanical protection was mandatory, but it would be a good idea.

If you want to be pandantic, the green pipe will be affected by sunlight over time causing it to become degraded.

As a result it is not good practice to use it above above ground unless sleeved or otherwise protected. So I'm with Oilman.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back