New Oil tank installation pipework query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Im after a little advise on installing pipework to an existing oil fired boiler.

I am replacing a rusty old tank with a plastic one in a new location so need to install new pipework. Im going with 10mm Qual pipe buried 400mm below ground but need to know where the pipe is exposed at both the tank end and the entry point to the building does this need change to PVC coated copper or can I just sleeve it or maybe put some Denso tape around ?

Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
According to Oftec, underground oil pipe is recommended to be buried 450mm deep on a bed of 50mm of sand and covered with 50mm of sand. Then a protective layer such as roof tiles, then fill in with soil remembering to lay an oil pipe warning tape 150mm below the surface. Underground oil pipe can be Qual plastic but where it is above ground it should be converted to copper or black iron. Plastic sleeving for the copper/iron must be used through a wall and sealed with mastic both ends. Underground joints in oil pipe are best avoided if possible but if you must then a manhole/inspection hatch must be built to allow the joint to be monitored for leaks.
Stix.

I cant avoid a joint then if I'm going from underground plastic to above ground PVC copper

Oftec only recommend,its not a statuary body so therfore not a written law.

You will probably only need 2 elbows either end to get you out of the ground,if your deep enuff with your trench, you mite be able use the radius on the plastic to do away with compression elbows.

You can always sleeve it as it comes out of the ground with MDPE to prevent ultra violet rays damaging the qual pipe.

Sponsored Links
I usually wrap Qualpex with Denso tape where it comes above ground I then convert to copper above ground the only reason that Qualpex cannot be used above ground is that it is not UV stabilized so Denso should give more than adequate protection from UV . Obviously it is not Fire rated so must never be run into the building!!!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back