could this be asbestos pipe lagging?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

we recently moved into a new house which we know had a lot of asbestos in before it was renovated. The landlord assured us its all been removed, apart from a bit of asbestos cement roofing adjoing the garage. however there is a pipe in the garage lagged with some kind of fiberous yellowy material which has been painted over. it looks like its been wrapped in a spiral around the pipe.

Because we know there was a lot of asbestos used, we are worried that this is asbestos too. I've attached pictures, does anyone have any idea if its likely to be asbestos?

Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
It looks to me like glass fibre!

If it really bothers you take a bit to the EHO in your local council and they MIGHT send it to be analysed.

Even if it is asbestos it's perfectly safe until you start touching it (which I notice Agile has advised you to do :confused: )

hmm i don`t thin it is but don't take the risk if you need rid of it get some one a survey

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone,

Thats good to know that its unlikely to be asbestos and that it would be safe if we leave it alone, i wasnt sure if it just emitted fibres.

I'll just leave it well alone for the moment and try and get confirmation from the landlord before i start chucking boxes on top of it (the pipe runs over a wood platform over an outside toliet which would be a good storage space.

Definitely not any form of asbestos lagging - I`ve crawled over too much of the real stuff for my own good , probably :cry:

That look like glass fibre or felt pipe wrap, I never come across asbestos lagging in a house in 15 years.

Dan.

I wouldn't like to pass an opinion, but if you are still a bit wary, why not carefully wrap it in polythene, if there isn't too much?

I have fire retardant panels in my house which might be asbeston but I think they are the non asbestos type.

I am totally unconcerned about it though.

My garage has broken asbestos cement panels. They dont bother me either!

Properly handled ( or rather not ) its no danger!

Tony

Why not ask the LL for the Clean Air Certificate. This will show that any asbestos was correctly removed and the state of any existing asbestos in the building.

Pretty sure the local authority will advise you.

I dont think any asbestos removal firm would ever only do a partial removal job.

In any case we all agree that it looks like fibreglass insulation. Quite why I dont know as its not normal to lag soil pipes. They would only freeze up if there was a dripping tap or toilet.

Tony

Quite why I dont know as its not normal to lag soil pipes. They would only freeze up if there was a dripping tap or toilet.

Are you saying the pipe in question is a soil pipe? :eek: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back