Could this be the supply pipe to my old shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to find the supply to my old shower.

I've got the boot where it comes out of the wall, but am struggling to find the source.

I think I may have it, but I'm not sure!

This is where it comes out. I'm sure the chasing to the ceiling is electrical.

I'm assuming there may have been a previous mixer where the large patch is lower down. I'm hoping that may be the case.

20160326_172243.jpg

The only other pipe work I can find is this running up the corner. Difficult to see, but it's fair in the small channel between old tile and render.
20160412_163157.jpg

I've traced it through the floor...
20160412_163051.jpg

And it runs between the hot and cold supplies for the bath back in the direction of the hot water cylinder.
20160412_162642.jpg

There's no reason for it to be anything other than a water pipe? Is there?

If it is the supply to the old shower, I'll cut it off below floor and divert it for the new shower, save burying what looks to be unprotected pipe work in the wall.

Sponsored Links
Another question...

It looks smaller than 15mm.

Could it possibly be 10mm? Or is it just an optical illusion?

20160412_181629.jpg

Sponsored Links
In metal?

Looking up the line, looks like there might be solder joints on it.

Difficult to tell without ripping up another board.

it looks to me like slightly-rusted steel, with the remains of black paint on it, which matches old electrical conduit. See if you can feel a longitudinal seam, which is also typical of old conduit. If you look inside an old light switch, you may see a round metal box and bit of conduit joining it, as it is often re-used when rewiring, to save chasing out the walls. The lightweight stuff has a slip-joint and pinch-screw clamp, it is not threaded like better stuff. It will sound thin if you tap it. If it is conduit you may find remnants near where the fusebox used to be.

You could be right. Thanks.

20160412_183206.jpg
20160329_235753.jpg

So... That begs the question, where is the water coming from. Couldn't see a pipe in the loft, found some conduit cover which I presume will be for the old shower electrics.

OK, I'm think it is an old electrical conduit. Unsure if it's in use. Not going to risk finding out.

I can see 2 spurs of the hot and cold further down the run now I have a clearer photo.

I think these are going to the downstairs toilet that is built under the stairs and am obvious addition to the property.

They're around the bathroom door.

The wall the shower is going on appears to be breeze block or similar.
20160412_184139.jpg

Why would a control valve be on a conduit?
It's 15mm Cu.
The electrics come from above.
Your later picture does indeed show an old conduit.

Take a closer look at my last photo.

I got a clearer view on that pipe.

Definitely painted black with a wierd (NOT A PLUMBING) tee joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back