Could you lift this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1828.JPG
IMG_1830.JPG
IMG_1831.JPG
Hi,

My garden currently contains a brick arch, that's i'd like to remove. Supporting the top of the arch is a steel beam.

I'm trying to establish how heavy that beam is so that's i can make some kind of plan to shift it.

I've done some exploratory brick removal today, pics attached.

The steel is thin. Does this mean that it will be light enough for 1 or 2 people to manhandle, or is this a big job needed chains and a pulley?

(Or shall I just get it loose and push it off?)

Thanks

Ben

Sponsored Links
Now I know this will seem a daft comment, but take down the bricks and then see how heavy it is. As you say, the steels light, but it's a long piece, and may well need three men to get it down safely, as you're working at a height. Take it carefully, and you'll be fine.

Measure it, then wander around a builder's merchant and find a similar one.
See how heavy that one is and allow for length v weight.

Quite possibly removing all the bricks on top and demolishing the pillars brick by brick on alternative sides may be fine? Or carefully shove it off (away from you)

It looks like a catnic. It wont be very heavy if it is, 2 men should be able to lift it easily once all the brick is removed. If not They are quite easy to cut as the steel is very thin.

At a guess i'd say a 3.5m catnic will weight about 50-60kg??

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone.

So I removed the bricks, scooched it along in one direction as far as I could, and then shoved one end off. The rest did itself.

I think it's a bit heavier than 75kg, but it's hard to tell as it's cumbersome. When I was 17 I used to stack 50kg+ tubs of paint above my head no bother. I'd struggle to throw this thing around.

Now I've just got to get rid of the thing. Hopefully I can find someone on eBay that wants a stell lintel and has a vehicle that they can collect it in.

Then there's 200+ bricks to clean, and the foundations to dig out...

Your help is much appreciated

Ben

Try ebay to shift it with collection only.

Otherwise, around my area, sticking a redundant object with scrap value on the front lawn generally sees it gone in 24 hours . I shoved a dishwasher outside at 9.00am and it was gone by lunchtime

A slitting disc and anglegrinder will chop it up into manageable bits

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back